Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Leqembi?

I am wondering how to approach the possibility of starting this treatment with my DW. She has anosognosia and is doing pretty well overall. She remains pretty independent although not driving and I do most of the cooking. She is currently in a mild stage either 3 or very early 4. I worry that pursuing this treatment will necessitate more discussions with her doctor and that discussing the nature of this disease will cause her more emotional pain than any good that might be gained. I don't even know how to approach it. Somehow the "ignorance is bliss" nature of how she is today is comforting in some way. I just don't know where to start or which way to go. She is the love of my life, so I pray!

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

In your shoes, I might make the appointment to discuss without your wife attending before deciding whether this is worth all that goes with the protocol.

I would also want to discuss the disparity in results between men and women before engaging your wife in the discussion.

Alzheimer's drug Leqembi may not work as well on women (axios.com)

HB

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

we are exactly the same situation, I found my wife hates going to Nurologist, I write letter to dr to read when I have appointment. Can’t let her see or hear when I hand to them, like you anosognosia big time going on 14 months diagnosed , no driving that really set her off. Just stay with this group they are great. Tough road ahead but great advise. I’m in exact place you are and it SUCKS !!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more