Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sweating and sundowners

ImMaggieMae
ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Often, but not every day, my DH will sweat rather profusely in the late afternoon. It lasts for a couple of hours and then goes away. He doesn’t have a fever when this happens or any other unusual symptoms other than nervousness and agitation. The room temp is usually around 71°. He takes Risperidone, Memantine and Gabapentin before bedtime. The sundowning usually goes from about 3pm and often til around 9pm. He calms for about a hour while I feed him dinner. He’s somewhere in stage 6.

Does anyone else see sweating in their spouse?

Comments

• Kat63
    Kat63 Member Posts: 60
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH has had sundowning for several months now and will sweat sometimes, but I contributed it to him constantly moving things during his sundowning. He likes to pack the car daily as he is always “going home”. As with your husband, my DH’s sundowning starts mid to late afternoon and will only subside when I give him the Trazodone he was prescribed. I try not to give it to him too early as I want it to help him sleep. This past summer he literally would sweat through two to three shirts daily. Anyway my DH packs the car late afternoon, early evening and then unpacks it most mornings. If I know we are needing the car and I ask him to unpack it, he will say something like. “I don’t know who put all that stuff in the car”!! This is pretty much what he does the days we are home, which are most days. I believe my husband to be in stage 6 also.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I don't know if sweating has any correlation to sundowning. My DH went through a phase when on random days his upper body would be drenched with sweat, soaking through the sheets and mattress, in the middle of the night for no reason at all. I literally could wring out sweat from his t-shirt. As mysteriously as it came, so was it when the nightsweating stopped and hasn't returned.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Is your husband taking pain medication, such as ibuprofen or Tylenol, mid-day? That would lower body temp and necessitate sweating 😓

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Marta, no, he isn’t taking any pain medications.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more