Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

so sad

Went to a lovely party with my DH last night. A dear friend's husband turned 70. We drove to another state to attend, so there was not the option of leaving him at home.

At one point, I became overcome with emotion and stepped outside, practically in tears. Seeing my poor DH, so lost, among so many happy, healthy people broke my heart. This disease sucks.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My feelings exactly…. This illness SUCKS!!

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I'm sorry for your pain. I did almost the same thing at my son's house for Christmas Dinner. I was thinking this is probably the last Christmas she'll be here...somehow I caught myself. I know she could live many more years but I know I'll never have what I had. You are right, This Disease Sucks.

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Jdancer,

Heartfelt hugs to you.

Tremendous grief on this journey. We who are care givers grieve double, as far as I can tell. Glad you shared your sadness with us.

I feel less alone knowing you all are out there finding the ways to love and lose, too.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Hugs and I, too, feel your pain. Last Christmas at our family gathering, DH had a manic episode. The ugliness of this disease on full display. Family members knew he was afflicted but never eye-witnessed his radical behavior. They were quite shocked. I cried for the loss of the healthy DH and all the losses associated with this wicked disease, plus I was full of self-pity back then. But I have a very loving family who rallied around us. Although this road is still a very lonely one for the caregiver, it truly helps to have a good support system. I wish that for everyone...may it be family, support groups, church, community...!

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Yup - me and DH invited to New Year’s Day gathering. I feel fearful. The hostess’s Mom has Alzheimer’s so she is understanding. But most people are not familiar and do not expect to see it in 73 year old DH. We will go as the socializing is still enjoyable for him. Maybe we will just go for one hour.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

@Denise1847 Socializing actually became easier and in some ways more enjoyable for me once DH totally withdrew from all social activity. It is less stressful for me since towards the end of him doing couple things I could tell it was becoming less fun for him, plus I always had to keep an eye and ear on him because I never knew what he might say or do.

Now I go out mostly with just my women friends, which is much easier and more relaxing. Occasionally I get invited to mixed group activities, and I make the effort to attend since I do appreciate being included. At this point all my friends and relatives are aware of DH’s situation and are very understanding and considerate.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I posted my story this morning, before our long drive home.

I'm overwhelmed and grateful for all the thoughtful, loving responses. I probably struck a chord because so many of us attend gatherings during the holidays. The support of this group is one of the few things I can depend on. Thank you so much!

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Kibbee, I am hopeful I will be able to get out more. My DH is such a proud, stubborn man, so he refuses anyone coming into the house to sit with him while I go out. I suspect eventually this will not be an issue for him. It has been terribly depressing for me for 3 years of being fairly isolated, unable to go anywhere without him, go to the gym or do anything for myself. It really makes me both depressed and angry. Thanks for the encouragement. I am so tired of this daily grind.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Denise i had the same issue, ironically my partner's unwillingness to accept any help at home was one of the factors that led to her placement, which was also the last place she wanted to end up. Shot herself in the foot in that regard, so to speak. I tried several times to have conversations with her about accepting help at home specifically so that she could stay home, but predictably that didn't work, the anosognosia overrode everything. And she gradually withdrew from almost all friends-plus her deterioration coincided with the worst of the pandemic, so that we ended up very isolated indeed. I couldn't take her anywhere because she couldn't tolerate a mask. At least now there is the possibility of social gatherings.

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

With my husband our son is 26 years old and lives close by. But he doesn’t see my husband everyday. So those small adjustments that I made as far as his progression go. I have time to make changes. For Joshua it hits him all at once. I recently went to the eye doctor to get new glasses. I was having little pain behind my eyes and changes in vision. They think that I might have glaucoma. My husband doctor has said it is safe for my husband to drive. But that is not going to last very long. We need me to be able to drive. I will 51 in January. Our son and my parents don’t know yet. Besides me being able to drive. How can I help him and keep him safe if I can’t see. Not mad that I might have problem. The timing stinks.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more