Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sleeping more...stage 5?

Belle
Belle Member Posts: 117
Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

DH is sleeping at least 12 hours a day now. He has gradually increased sleeping over the past month. Usually it's 10 hours at night then about a two hour nap. Today he slept for 10 hours, got up for 30 minutes, and went back to bed. He more than likely has VaD or mixed dementia and is in his late 50's and I have noticed a decline in the last month or so. From what I can see in the Tam Cummings document stage 5 is when LO's may start to sleep more. Just curious if others saw an increase in sleep in stage 5 or if it was earlier or later than that?

Comments

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When my DW began sleeping a LOT more it was further confirmation something was going on with her. She was in early Stage 3. She used to rarely nap, but now gets in little naps every day and sleeps fully through the night. She's now in Stage 4 and that has not increased yet to the levels of sleep you describe. I do expect that to come, because I saw it with both her mother and father, who both passed after years of dementia.

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I think the sleeping more or even less depends on the type of dementia. My wife in mid to late stage 6 has just now started sleeping more...12+ hours each night. I see where some LOs seldom sleep. My wife was diagnosed with "Text Book" Alzheimer's 3 years ago. I guess it also depends on when and what part of the brain dies?

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is in stage 5 and has been sleeping 10 hours/night for a couple of months. I am glad for him as he is at peace. He also has had 2 urine accidents which he thinks he hid from me. He is also starting to wear the same clothes every day and skipping showers occasionally. He doesn't like it when I try to help him so I have to adjust.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW is somewhere mid 6 and rarely sleeps in the day. She'll doze off sometimes but I haven't seen a time yet when all she wants to do is sleep but that could change the closer we get to the end of 6 maybe.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited January 1

You gave me more data points for stage 5. My DH has some urine leakage and has started wearing guards. He also will shower about every 5 days but three of those days I am pestering him to take one. He also will not change clothing unless I can get him to shower or kind of force the issue which means he may wear the same clothing for 3 days before giving in and changing.

• Ragfoot
    Ragfoot Member Posts: 18
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I'm guessing, based on what I see in Tam's DBAT, my DW is in late stage 4 or early stage 5. For the last couple of weeks, she is now sleeping about 12 hours a night. I put her in bed about 8PM (Potty and meds first). That gives me several hours of me time. I'll wake her about 10PM for a potty trip. Then, I join her in bed somewhere between 11PM and midnight. IF I am up until midnight I wake her for another potty trip. That trip is frequently "too late". And, by the time she wakes up after 8AM, she always has a load in her Depends (More than 16oz of liquid and occasionally poop too.)

Up until about a month ago, she was only sleeping about 8 hours a night AND got out of bed several times a night to go to the bathroom. Only an occasional "accident" during that period of time.

• mpang123
    mpang123 Member Posts: 228
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

All my dad does now is just eat and sleep. He sleeps 13 hours overnight, eats breakfast then go back to sleep, eats lunch, then naps till dinner then goes back to bed. He has no interest to keep him awake. Can't follow the TV, no reading, no more cellphone, computer, iPad, no conversation, and no engagement with anyone.

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

My husband who is 6 years in with some type of FTD sleeps 11plus hours a night (for 3 years now) with several times up to pee. He also naps a lot during the day. I have noticed he leaks urine and has stool smears on his underwear and figured it was just due to old age, but maybe dementia? He is 76.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

97 Stage 5 FIL sleeps 10-12 hrs each night, naps after breakfast and lunch. Rare incontinence.

Still “reads”, will gather books every day from the facility library, same books over and over. First time visiting after COVID I returned 50 books. Still participates in Bingo, other activities daily. Survived a bout of COVID in October.

Doesn’t bathe or change clothes unless prompted. Short term memory is less than 2 minutes.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more