Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What to Make of Improvements to Cognition and Incontinence

Dio
Dio Member Posts: 682
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Today a dear friend visited DH and confirmed what MCF staff also reported recently, that DH's cognition has improved greatly, almost like talking to a normal person, and no longer needs/wants to wear Depend. His long-term memory is very much in tact while short-term was impressive as well. He even noticed my name on the pizza box asking whether I was the one who ordered the pizza. He's no longer aggressive or combative. He urinates on his own and no longer wears Depend. What the heck is going on??? Sprinkles was added early October and nothing else has changed. He still doesn't want to engage in activities and just stays in his room. He's still confused about day/time although he knows it's January. He denies liking the Far Side, although it has been his favorite comic strip for many many years, and says the book (given to him on the last visit) was confusing. But he remembers liking the chocolates that another friend had brought on the same visit. He even walked our friend to the door to bid farewell as a proper host would.

Has anyone else experienced this change in their LOs? While I'm pleased to hear the positive updates, I can't help but feel cautious about being too optimistic. Is this the cognitive fluctuations in LBD that I've read about? How long do these fluctuations last? Should I even ask questions? or should I simply enjoy this peaceful period for as long as it lasts?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Well amen to enjoying it while it lasts. I suspect it is the fluctuations that are characteristic of LBD. Sounds like my partner, who also primarily stays in her room....

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Part of the journey is occasional temporary improvements you should enjoy when they happen but don’t expect it to last. There can also be dramatic declines that are temporary before returning to previous state. The latter sometimes indicates another medical issue e.g. UTI that you have to investigate.

The temporary improvements sometimes coincide with trying alternative treatments and give false hope they are working, but it’s just coincidental random ups and downs.

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Truly, truly enjoy the moments you get.

Hold them in your head and heart.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

My DH had empathy and continence return after a med change almost 2 years ago. He was incontinent again after about a month, but the empathy remains to this day. Be thankful for the improvements.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more