Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What to say so I don't trigger worse reaction

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My DH and I went home for Christmas for a couple of days to visit my family. Every day before we left he asked multiple times when we were going and I would answer with how many more days before we leave. We flew up there, had a nice Christmas (only a few instances where I had to calm him down in the hotel) and flew home. Less than a week later he asked when were going up. I told him we already did and he thought I either went without him, didn't tell him where we were, etc. He was quite angry with me because he was looking forward to it. I didn't know what to say - I've heard that you need to accept their reality but I didn't know how to do that. I can't say, "we're going next week". He brought it up again a few days ago and I tried to change the subject as quickly as I could. What to say?

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited January 6

I would make up an excuse as to why you DIDN’T go- you had a cold, he had a cold, someone there has one etc. Tell him you got vouchers for the plane for next year. Show him how long it is before next Christmas. Repeat as needed.

Since he doesn’t remember going, a fiblet about why you didn’t go might fit better with his version of events.

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

This happens to me in various forms - when are we going to do xyz having already done it. The answer is usually some fiblet with acknowledgment it is coming soon. If it’s eating lunch I have to offer a small snack and tell her dinner is coming in a little while. If it’s visiting a friend I might pretend to check a calendar and say it’s tomorrow, or make an excuse like something came up. for the other people, they had to postpone to next week. Trying to correct them is counterproductive; they are incapable of reasoning and cannot accept they are wrong. You just have to accept an alternate reality and pretend to go along with it. When I started doing this the arguments diffused and life got a tiny bit easier.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Agree with Quilting. And if he asks when you are going again, just tell him they had to have some major work done on their foundation, and had to live in a hotel for a while. You can go after the work is done, but it's going to take a while.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more