Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A different kind of film of love and dementia

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
  • wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Included with Paramount+ subscription, and PPV on few other streaming services. I watched it last night. They did not explain time frame but appears to have been filmed over at least a couple of years as he goes from at least stage 3 to 5+. It’s the first one I have seen primarily with the actual PWD and not actors or a lot of commentary from care providers. He was a television journalist and there are numerous clips from earlier in his career, home movies giving some context to his life and how much changed. She is brave to include some difficult moments of confusion and agitation though I am sure there must be worse episodes left unseen. Also lots of caring interactions and her struggles to hold on to his memories as they are fading. If you live with a PWD you won’t learn much of anything new, but if you want someone else to understand more of your reality, this film shows many examples of what it is like to be with a person in decline.

W

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney