Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

finally bringing in caregiver help

Hi everyone, back after a bit of an absence! My Mom is starting her new job, and I really ought to start going back into the office when I'm able to, so we've finally reached the point where we need to bring in outside help to keep an eye on my dad and be available to help when we're not able to.

My parents' house is tiny, tiny. My mom's work desk is in her bedroom, and I work from the kitchen.

The caregiver, Catherine, is here and we've decided to try having my mom tell my dad that she's going to work and that I'm here and Catherine's here if he needs anything.

I'm going to have to try really hard to not hover. We've been so hands-on and doing everything by ourselves since the end of August, my immediate reaction is to jump up.

Anyway, mostly just venting my antsiness about it all - just waiting for him to shut down or be agitated or say something derogatory. Which isn't our fault and isn't really his fault, it all is just hard to be perfectly neutral about.

So, the three of us (me, my mom, and Catherine) are sitting in the kitchen and I'm trying to focus on work and not how the day is going to go. The plan now is for Catherine to be here Tuesdays and Wednesdays 8AM-5PM and after this week those are the days I'll be going into the office.

His hospice nurse is still visiting once every other week. He seems to see that there's been more decline. We've upped my dad's seroquel and have been fiddling with the senna dosage to help with BMs.

Trying to be optimistic that he'll be fine with everything, but we also know that it we need to do this if we're both going to continue working. Just mentally agonizing over things as usual. :)

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

hope it goes well, do let us know. Very difficult I'm sure to get him to accept....fingers crossed.

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi pookabera - Thanks for checking in. agree - hope all goes well. I know you are going to worry, but it sounds like you got this!

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 234
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Congratulations on getting the help! I am findng that this step is the hardest. I have not made the leap yet.

• pookabera
    pookabera Member Posts: 71
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

It has been really, really difficult for us, so I totally understand. My mom and I have been able to support each other through this and me being here every day has made it possible for us to both work, but we knew we'd need extra help eventually. We'll see how he is with my mom once she's "home from work" in about 30 minutes, but he's been nice and amiable all day which is truly surprising.

We're doing kind of a tandem thing right now, where I'm going in every now and then to chit-chat about anything he might not say to the caregiver (talking about BMs, asking where my mom is) which I think might be helping with the agitation.

I hope things work out for you and you're able to get outside help when you need it! ❤️

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more