Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Never mind

Belle
Belle Member Posts: 117
Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Comments

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

I am sorry your DH is going through this especially at such a young age. I am sorry for you, too, of course. My DH is 80 and he has not known the date for years. I think he's stage 6.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

He was actually pretty close with the date. I'm wondering if you're not over reacting to the situation? The fact that he knew it was Wednesday, January and 2024 is something that I would count as a win. We need to look at the positive side of things. I hope I'm not coming across as critical to you. That's the last thing I want to do. But focusing on the negatives will drag us down, and nobody here needs that.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Belle, I'm sorry you took it that way, and I apologize.

• /STEVE
    /STEVE Member Posts: 15
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I hope I do not make this worse "Sorry but there is no bright side to my husband not understanding the day of the week." You are total right! As care giver we need to once a day, look up at the blue sky and smile, anything to get through the day. My wife just walked into the room asking about getting ready for camping next week, we do not go for 5 months, so now I wished she was only off a day or two. When she was at that stage, I was not happy either.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

@Belle I am sorry for what you are losing. It isn’t fair and nearly impossible to accept. But here we are. And I’m sorry @Ed1937 ’s phrasing upset you. Please believe me when I say I am very certain he was sincerely trying to find a way to help you see things in a less depressing manner.

As long as there remains no cure, trying desperately to see something positive in the losses is all we can do. Some days it’s far easier said than done. We are all losing(or have lost) our loved ones by degrees, some slowly and others in leaps and bounds. We are all in various stages of grief for what we will never get back. And some days, it seems like there are nothing but losses.

Like @Ed1937 and @/STEVE expressed, I hope you can find some joy in where you are every day with your DH to help sustain you through the journey ahead.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Your right I’d be thrilled if my wife would stay as is , so he’s not cooking gets confused and repeats but that’s it! I can deal with this forever but I know it’s not going to be so , but can hope. This illness SUCKS!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more