Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Finding a caregiver via Facebook

There are a lot of new members here and I thought I would pass on an unconventional way to find a caregiver that worked really well for me. My husband progressed to the point where I couldn’t leave him alone. He loved to walk and could take care of all toileting needs. I felt that I needed to have some free time for myself and began to look for a caregiver. He needed someone who could walk 3-5 miles with him, fix his lunch and visit with him. Our town had a job site on Facebook so I placed an ad. I asked for someone who could do the above and would be available from 10-2 three days a week. I had approx 12 replies. I looked at each persons FB page and saw what they posted about. One actually had a mutual friend with me and when I asked my friend she gave her a great recommendation. The other lady was in her 60’s and needed some extra money. One did one day and the other two days. I paid $25 an hour and it worked well until my husband needed placement. When I no longer needed their services I recommended them to others in my support group and they have continued working for the last year and a half. Neither were CNA’s and so did not do physical care. I told they they were welcome to go to Costco to do their shopping because my husband loved going there and having a hotdog. I realize that I was lucky that no injuries or problems occurred because I did not have insurance on them nor did I take out taxes. I did feel that I absolutely won the lottery when I chose them and they helped my keep my sanity.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more