Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Girl From North Country

wose
wose Member Posts: 137
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So I had these tickets for 8 months. way before the denial coma I was in. Yesterday started out with him accusing me of stealing his keys(which is true) So we head out the door and he heads to the driver’s seat. After he yells at the poor Amazon driver we are off with me driving. He says he doesn’t want to go to this stupid play. He just wants to go to the steakhouse and then come home. I said no play no steakhouse. So we’re good. The play opens up with this older woman with dementia— I mean advanced dementia— I almost fell out of my seat. But with the Bob Dylan songs (someone we both like) playing and the singing, he was clearly enjoying himself very much. After first intermission, he was delighted with the evening. The power of music 💙BTW the play was pretty good, especially the first act. Very therapeutic for me.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad you stuck with it. I can't watch any theater about dementia. Right before my partner went to MC we watched some comedy about three older women in assisted living and my partner said she'd rather be shot than live in a place like that. Famous last words.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Happy the outing went well, you deserve a win!

Music can be a fantastic therapy for a PWD. DW is at the beginning of stage 7, mostly nonverbal with no memories of the past but put on 60/70s music and she will sing along and get up and dance. I love visiting her at the MC when they have music activities because that is when she is happiest and most engaged.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Music is magic.

The only picture we have of a smiling dad in the last 10 years of his life was taken at a MCF party where he's hugging mom and singing Blueberry Hill which was "their song".

Glad you got the win.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney