Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Huge weight off my mind!!!

Today I sold my wife’s car. This has been her biggest issue when she was told last year NO driving. Wife has beautiful 2007 Mercedes that was her pride and joy. Worked hard for it leased first 3 yrs then purchased. She loves that car.i would get rid of it has felt would upset her, but she’s become very money spending conscious so when I had to put $3000 into car recently she was ok with selling so while she was ok with selling I sold in one day and delivering tomorrow.. wish me luck

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Good for you Charley. I sold my partners Mini Cooper the morning i took her to hospital. Both of them left home the same day, never to return.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Good - we gave my DH car to grandsons. He took pride in that and has never asked to drive again (2 years ago). That is a huge relief to finally get the driving resolved.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Good for you. My life partner's Ford Focus Titanium is languishing in the garage. Keys are hidden. Need to sell. Great step for you. Kathy

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Good news! It's about a year ago that I convinced DH that my DS needed the larger car (Nissan Rogue) for my granddaughter. He readily consented and it gradually became permanent. OTOH, he tried to drive my car and now I literally have to keep the keys on my person at all times and sleep with them under my pillow at night. Huge step in the right direction...

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I had mixed feelings on the day DW's car was donated to a good cause almost a year ago after sitting unused more than 3 years. Another small loss in our lives but it's only material things. Out of sight, out of mind, she didn't notice it missing and removed a source of occasional conflict. She still offers to drive (early stage 6, impossible) when we go places and I just say I'm happy to be her chauffeur.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Good for you, Charley. One less thing to worry about.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This illness baffles me when first told couldn’t drive it was a nite mare, I mentioned other day to sell says yes I jump on it and now give. Hasn’t really mentioned it or complained

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

That’s a win Charlie! Good for you.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Well done, Charley. Anything you can do to make it easier for you and your DW is good--and this one is major.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more