Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question on Lequembi qualifications?

jscott
jscott Member Posts: 16
5 Care Reactions First Comment

I just got an answer regarding my DW starting Lequembi. I was told that her MOCA score (15) was too low to qualify. She still does her ADL’s without help and most of the time I’m thinking she’s great. Is this “cut off” a Medicare thing? I was disappointed but wasn’t sure if I could have convinced her to submit to the infusions anyway due to her not recognizing that there is anything wrong that needs treatment. She is now taking Aricept and I tell her it’s for brain health. God willing, there will be another medication in the near future that will slow this and be easier to administer. I’m just looking for clarification on how to qualify for the medication. It’s probably not in our future regardless.

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello - no, it’s not a Medicare thing. Leqembi has been approved for use in MCI and mild AD. Your wife’s MOCA score of 15 puts her in the moderate stage.

• amycohen
    amycohen Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

see if she can test again and help her study. We did this with my mom and she got an 18.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Exelon patch may be easier to administer.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney