Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My DW's caregiver

My DW is declining and it is a hard thing to watch. We both live in an Assisted Living facility and the staff seems to be content to let me tend to each and every one of my DW's needs and requests, etc. I have Parkinson's disease and I feel as though my own needs are not getting met. It doesn't feel like anyone is assisting ME. DW's doctor says I am the only reason she has not already been moved to Memory Care. My anxiety level is off the charts... way off.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. That sounds like a very, very valid concern. Do you have other family members who can advocate for you? Regardless, it sounds like it might be a good idea for you to have a sit-down meeting with the director of the facility and the head of nursing. Absolutely, your needs should not be ignored in favor of your wife's, nor should you be expected to be her caregiver.

Do you have the financial wherewithal to support her move to MC if you stay in AL? I know this is frequently a concern.

You have found a very supportive community here. Please keep us posted, and glad you found us.

• Hohenzollern
    Hohenzollern Member Posts: 12
    First Anniversary First Comment

Thanks for your comments. I will be meeting with the administrator this afternoon. In answer to your question: we have the means for her Memory Care, but I will not be following her there of course.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more