Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What could this be?

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It all started last friday with a sore throat and run down feeling, not much in the way of fever but persistant excessive coughing day and night. I've been trying to manage my DW all week who is dbl incontinent. I don't feel like I have the flu but just a chest cold. Evey cold seems to get me in the chest and I cough for weeks. I've been that way all my life, however, my DW so far is not showing any symptoms of what I've been dealing with and I have had to be in close contact with her a lot, every day.

It's been seven days since the sore throat appeared and I'm very grateful right now my DW isn't complaining of a sore throut or coughing excessively and I pray that doesn't happen. I'm also grateful that whatever I have hasn't laid me out severly.

Possibly just my stress levels the last few months, years have weakend my immune system?

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    edited January 12

COVID?

• ghphotog

Hopefully not. I haven't tested but we've been home most all week. Doesn't feel like covid but I need to pick up and in-home covid test to be sure.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

There's a respiratory infection that's going around; it's not covid, RSV or the flu. The cough lasts for weeks. Maybe you should go to urgent care. I know several people that got put on antibiotics and prednisone.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I've had it since December 23 (it's now Jan 12). Started with sore throat, lots of nasal drainage and post nasal drip and coughing. I feel ok, though and no fever. I tested for Covid twice - negative. Sore throat is gone, rest of symptoms continue.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

There's a lot of respiratory illness circulating right now. About 2 weeks before Christmas I came down with some viral crud that began with a sore throat and moved into fluid in my ears (one infected), violent and productive cough and exhaustion. I tested negative for both COVID and influenza.

I am much better but am still having an occasional productive cough and clogged ears. TBH, I was way sicker feeling than when I did have COVID last Christmas. Testing is important because there is a time limit during which Paxlovid or Tamiflu can be prescribed to lessen symptoms and duration.

You can get another round of free tests sent to you from this site:

Free At-Home COVID-19 Tests (usps.com)

I hope you feel better soon.

HB

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited January 12

I have had the sinus drainage and resulting cough to clear my throat for over a week - both recognizable from my decades of allergies. I am fine otherwise. No fever, no chest congestion, no feeling ill. Spouse is fine- and he’s the one that has had covid twice and I never got it from him. We are fully vaccinated.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I've been having a runny nose since the new year began, usually in the mornings, but no other symptoms. The air quality here is poor, very windy with lots of particles and ash in the air, although as far as I know, there have been no wildfires. I have not tested for covid, because when I had covid, I felt sick and had a fever. I have never lived in a place with such dirty air!

Iris

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My similar symptoms turned out to be pneumonia.

Ran the battery of meds...Antibiotic, prednisone, cough pills and inhaler.

This is the first day I feel like me. Started the week of Christmas and didn't go in until New Year's day. New Year's eve night i didn't sleep due to the coughing.

Hope you feel better sooner than later.

Please take good care.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hope it isn't covid. Three of my friend's grown grandkids have had covid in the last couple of weeks. They felt like they had a bad cold but it only lasted five days. How is your sense of taste?

• Bluebird
    Bluebird Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Could it be RSV? I’ve read it can cause a cough that can last about a month or more. I don’t know if there is a way to test for it. You might want to talk to your doctor. I would test for COVID also. It could also be pneumonia.

• ghphotog

For the most part I feel ok except for the cough. Curious because my DW so far is fine in this regard and that's the curious part for me. Why isn't she getting sick yet? It's been 8 days for me.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

You mention it's common for you to cough for weeks after a cold. I do that too, and have found a pulmonologist to be very helpful. They can help parse out why the immune system is doing this, see if there is an underlying autoimmune problem, and in some cases there are things that can help. Infusions, various types of inhaled and oral medicines. There is a lot going around right now, seems all over the country it is a terrible cold & flu season. Perhaps whatever you have your wife is immune to thank goodness.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more