Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

personal training

l7pla1w2
l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

DW goes to personal training once a week. The PT is aware of DW's dementia. The PT is concerned with DW's range of motion, balance, flexibility, posture, not strength, and directs DW's exercising accordingly.

The problem: DW comes home and complains bitterly that the PT doesn't make her work hard enough. She doesn't sweat, she doesn't have pains. But within minutes of her getting home, DW doesn't remember what she actually did during the session, or even that she had a session at all. DW seems to think her sessions should involve strength training and weights, which the PT thinks are less important for DW.

I trust the PT to know what DW really needs. How do I get DW to accept the sessions that the PT provides? The alternatives: no training at all, or having the PT have DW do the strength training she seems to think she needs. Remember, DW might not remember what she did anyway.

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Why is it a problem?

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I personally would ask the PT to give her some weight training to do. I don't see a downfall that. It may even satisfy her a while? This disease is always changing.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

buy her some one or two pound hand weights and tell her the trainer wants her to do that part at home. There will come a time of diminishing returns on this---and don't count on the trainer to tell you, because money is involved. Like asking a barber if you need a haircut....

• l7pla1w2

The PT says DW needs work to maintain her balance and flexibility. DW already shuffles a bit as she walks.

• l7pla1w2

I know the trainer well, and I trust that she is doing what DW needs. I don't think it's about the money. The PT knows about DW's dementia and knows how to work with such people.

• l7pla1w2

I have suggested to the PT that she have DW do some strength training at the end, which DW might be more likely to remember.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Tell her you are starting off slow with this type of training prior to moving into weight training. You can always say weight training starts a week from today. That works if she doesn’t remember.

• mpang123
    mpang123 Member Posts: 228
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My dad used to have home health PT/OT but he refused to participate. That was earlier last year when his dementia acted up but now he has calmed down. He has a physical with his PCP next month and I will ask the doctor if he can have home health again.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Is this PT a personal trainer or physical therapist? Is your DW an accurate reporter? Do you stay and sit in on the sessions?

My mom, who is 87 but doesn't have dementia, recently "graduated" from a 3-month prescription of twice-weekly physical therapy specifically for balance and gait because of my concerns about falls she was having. Mom only worked with DPTs who specialize in balance issues. I was surprised that the 4 she worked with focused so much on strength training-- paying particular attention to her core, hips, glutes and legs. This work has made a tremendous difference.

HB

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited January 13

I thought like M1. Get some weights as home for "homeworK". You can even make a daily chart.

• l7pla1w2

I like that idea and will pass it to the trainer.

• l7pla1w2

Very experienced personal trainer. DW is an unreliable reporter, but I believe what the trainer tells me. I don't sit in on the sessions.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Perhaps sitting in would be a good idea. Would give you a better idea of whether she's really getting anything out of it.

• avieDa921)
    avieDa921) Member Posts: 43
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

When my DH went for therapy, I always went & watched what he was doing because he wouldn’t remember even going there. He was given exercises to do at home, again not going to remember how to do them properly. If he goes to the doctor or dentist, I’m in there with him to hear what’s said or done! Everyone in the healthcare field should understand why a caregiver would want to be there with them & if they don’t, too bad, it’s not stopping me!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more