Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bad day - just a vent

Jeanne C.
Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Today started with the discovery of a mess in the bathroom. My poor husband had accident and tried to clean it up, gave up and got back in bed. I apparently slept through it. So, after I cleaned the bathroom, showered him, and stripped the bed, I had him calmly eating breakfast. His aide arrived and things were going pretty well. I went back to the bedroom to make the bed when I heard yelling. I came out to find the aide gripping my husband's wrists while he cursed and tried to kick and hit the aide. The aide told me he attacked him when he came out of the bathroom. As I was calming my DH, he told me he was protecting me. He seemed so panicked. I truly think he just forgot who the aide was and freaked out at a "stranger" in the house. I sent the aide home, got my husband calmed down, and spent the day with a very needy/clingy DH. Then to top off the day, he spit several (but not all) of his evening meds into the sink. Since they are all small white tablets, I couldn't guess which he actually swallowed.

I'm tired. And scared. And sad. Thanks for hearing me.

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

What a day for you and your DH. I’m sorry. Hoping for a restful night for you both ❤️

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Overwhelming. I'm so sorry. Interesting that a male aide triggered that reaction from him.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited January 15

I feel for every single one of you , I’m nowhere near any of this behavior but wonder what’s in future for my DW. THIS ILLNESS SUCKS !!!!

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

May today bring gifts of laughter and peace.

I feel deeply for you and your DH.

• Judy.T.
    Judy.T. Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry for this happening. Know I feel your pain. This has happened to me before just not with the aid. I always try to find the good, you house is now clean & your DH still recognizes his love for you enough to still protect you. Remember we are doing the best we can

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks everyone. Today was better. The aide came for a few hours this afternoon and everything was fine. Now were relaxing and watching some football. Some days are rough but some are fine. I'll settle for fine.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

UTI???

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So glad to hear you’re having a better day. It’s very interesting that he was trying to protect you! A good day after a bad day is like a deep breath of fresh air! Prayers for you and your dh!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more