Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My turn in hospital

2»

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you all for the kind words. Just an update for you. When I went in the hospital, I also had a problem with severe cramping in my stomach, and vomiting. This is something I've had before, so they ran all kinds of tests on me. The ER doctor told me I have an obstruction, and they would put a tube down my nose, into my stomach to see if they could remove it without surgery. A surgeon would be in to see me later in the day. He came in (after I had the NG tube), and said he didn't agree that I had an obstruction at all. But he ordered an Xray where they could see how long it took for something to pass through my system, just to make sure. It went through in 60 seconds, so if there was an obstruction, it was now gone. But that wasn't the main reason I went to the hospital.

They didn't find a reason for my glucose to be uncontrollable, and the Endo suggested that he might send me to Chicago, where they had better equipment. I was released yesterday, after doing well in the hospital. I came home with a continuous glucose monitor, and it's a good thing I did. I was awakened four times last night by an alarm telling me my sugar was low. Each time I was able to get it back up. This morning my sugar dropped to 44, which is entering the danger zone. I was able to get it up again, and I have an appointment with the doc on Monday. I was asymptomatic through all of this, and that's the scary part.

When I was in the ER, a girl came to ask me a few questions. She asked me if I had any falls within the last year. I told her I did not have any falls at all until I saw her coming my way, then I fell head over heels. That drew a laugh from everyone around.

Jo and M1, I hope you both have received some uplifting news about your struggles. I really missed being on the forum. I'm saying a prayer for both of you.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad you had the monitor Ed. Im holding my own, mostly sidelined by the back at this point but that's bad because it keeps me from doing the exercise needed to get past the shortness of breath. And can't get an epidural until the hematologist clears it because of the bloodthinners-remains kind of a circular cluster*. Haven't been to MC all week because of the weather, my partner will be beside herself.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed -I remember asking you about the monitor a while back and you didn’t qualify. Sounds like this hospitalization made you qualify. I think it will be very helpful to you. I know it is for my spouse.

Whrn he had the Dexcom 6, it would sometimes read low the first night he put a new one on. He now uses the Dexcom 7, and we’ve not noticed that - so if you are reading low on that one, you are low.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thanks for the update, Ed. Hoping they can get to the bottom of this for you. I'm so sorry you had to go through what you did. Glad the new technology is helping you at least stay on top of it as far as you can at home. But talk about your midnight snacks...and 2...and 4...etc. Bummer. Take care, thinking of you.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    edited January 20

Lots of people care about you here, Ed, including me. Be well, please, by taking care of you! Put yourself first for a change. Your well being means a lot to so many us.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Ed, How are you? We are all routing for you.

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Ed, thanks for the update. You have been through a lot.Take care and I am wishing you the very best.

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I hope they figure out what is causing the low blood sugar. I hope you get well soon and in the meantime just rest.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks for the update.....A trip to Rush/Northwestern may be prudent.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Holy catamaran Batman! That is really low blood sugar . . . . so glad you are under medical care and that it will all be assessed and addressed.

Thinking of you and following along to see how you are doing and sending warmest of thoughts your way and with wishes that this will be managed for you swiftly and easily.

J.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ed, do you have hypoglycemia associated with diabetes? If not, the first thing I thought of was an insulinoma. I hope you can find the solution soon!

Iris

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Ed. We have all missed you on the forum. Please take care and hope you start to feel better soon. Happy to see you still have that wonderful sense of humor. Hugs.

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Ed - So sorry you are going through this. Will pray for the doctors to find a solution and that you feel better soon.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more