Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Man of few words, but when he speaks its a doozy

So, my beloved is mainly non-verbal these days. Aphasia sneaked up on us in the last year or 2 I guess, until the noticeable decline/progression was suddenly a deafening silence.

Not that long ago it seems I was saying (to myself), "aarghh would you please STOP talking just for a minute?!" How I miss those days sometimes now. I always loved his voice and what I wouldn't give to hear it more often now that he rarely speaks, and the 2-3 word strings make little sense when he does. You all know.

Well, after a long night of frequent caregiving activity and most of today right at his elbow doing this that or the other, I just finished a leisurely hour hand-feeding a fairly silent DH when out of nowhere he says:

"I was intending to ask you something'...

In delighted surprise (and curious anticipation) I said, "Yeah?: (with our caregiver perking up to listen too)

DH's response: "...Who are you?"

HAHAHA - we all got a good laugh out of that one! I'm laughing and crying here in early Stage 7. I told him "Mrs...his name...,your wife!"). And we chuckled some more. Well friends, this new year is going to be a doozy.

Comments

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

What a lovely story! And a wonderful surprise!

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Treasure the moment! I certainly know how precious these moments can be.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad you got a laugh and a full sentence BW. A flash of the neurons connecting.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Treasure those moments. My DH when he was in stage 7 said very few words. After he got his hair cut, I said to him, "You look so cute! " To which he replied, " I can't help it! " Another time when he wasn't sure who I was, I pointed to my wedding ring and then to his and he gave a thumbs up.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Late in the disease, my DH, when asked, could give his full name with middle initial. My daughter-in-law pointed at me, asked him what my name was and he said, “Elf”. What???

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Were you sitting on a shelf at the time?

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I bet it felt so good to be able to laugh and even better to hear him laughing!! What a beautiful time to store away!! Thank you for sharing!

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Bw hold that in your heart. Precious memories.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Butterfly Wings,

I enjoy your sense of humor, and am so happy to know you still are in possession of it here in Stage 7. My husband speaks less, as he cannot seem to (self admittedly) “think”. The other day, I experienced déjà vu moment while we were out walking and told him so and the term and asked if he spoke French. He answered without hesitation - Parlez-vous français. 🤯

• jnjo
    jnjo Member Posts: 2
    Third Anniversary First Comment

My DH reached a stage where everything was difficult and tiring. Once when I had gotten him all cleaned up, I was trying to get him dressed in clean clothes. He declined and I said "well, you can't go around naked" and he replied "why not, Jesus did." I thought that was so funny, but when I told a friend, she thought it was terrible. I think the people here will understand.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Totally understand! Love the humor, it helps a lot. Thanks!

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I can totally understand and relate. I am always getting after my husband for being naked where he shouldn't be

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more