Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Recognizing skill losses

SSHarkey
SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My husband has been a master craftsman and woodworker for decades. These last few months he’s lost a great deal of his skills. Today he tried to get the square footage of our kitchen and couldn’t do it. It hit him hard. He’s still able to recognize that he can’t do something any longer. It’s so emasculating for him. I hate seeing him go through this stage! And I’m wondering how long it will be before he’s no longer aware of his losses.

Comments

• Whyzit2
    Whyzit2 Member Posts: 55
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

We never know how long anything will take or last with Alzheimer’s as everyone is so different. My DH was an award winning wood carver. He hasn’t done any carving in two years and has recently stopped talking about doing it. His tools are still in well labeled boxes on his shelf and I should just put them in our storage unit out of sight because they could be a safety hazard now. I just don’t want him to feel like he is being eliminated because his ego is still fragile like your DH. We are in the 14th year of this adventure.

Best wishes and hugs to you!

• SSHarkey

Oh how I understand! He has a fully loaded shop with every tool and saw imaginable. I tell myself if he dies out there he dies doing what he loves. But actually he’s spending less and less time there.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

It's a blessing and a mercy when they don't recognize the losses. My partner told me last week that she had turned down several jobs recently. Classic confabulation. Also worried about how her (long dead) parents were going to manage in the bad weather.

• ????
    ???? Member Posts: 24
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I think this is one of the hardest things to watch. My wife is aware of things she cannot do anymore. For almost 50 years she has done our taxes. This year we have hired a CPA. It is hard on her to know that she is not able to do them anymore.

• Bluebird
    Bluebird Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

It’s the little things that I notice the most. Things that were super easy for them that they can no longer do. My husband has also been a super handyman around the house. He could and would fix anything. Now he isn’t able to repair anything. Luckily he doesn’t seem to mind.

• sandpile60
    sandpile60 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

My husband also was so capable—he could make all types of things out of wood, could design and build anything out of metal ( certified welder) and was also learning pottery. Now, his spatial abilities are lacking and basic measurements allude him. It is so sad to see him struggle and give up. He couldn’t even build a birdhouse with a grandson the other day. I had to go out to the shop and help them complete it. I am so sad for him. How does one live with witnessing this devastating disease?

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree, my wife was a bookkeeper and tax preparer for many years and now becomes confused with a couple columns of numbers. She feels like she has lost her value. She is terrified about what is happening to her.

• SSHarkey

Like you, I have a lifetime of living with someone who can fix virtually everything! And now I’m wondering how I’ll get things done. I know I’ve been blessed to have him. And know it won’t be long before I have to hire people, just like most others have to do.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Justbreathe, i hope you all can do some bucket list activities in this time before you lose him-i hold on to some of those memories with all of my heart these days.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My DH was the kind of guy who always fixed things for everyone, and so sad to see those abilities no longer there. The challenging thing for me is that he still thinks he can fix things, but sadly his attempts result in making things worse. So - using skills he taught me over the years - I sneak around to fix things while he is in the shower or taking a nap. I end up working in 10 minute bursts but eventually get most things done or figured out. When I have to hire someone, I try to have an "errand" we need to run so we aren't home while the work is being done. This disease is so strange - while it's breaking your heart, you are distracted with trying to fix a toilet or hang Christmas lights...

• SSHarkey

The year he was diagnosed, we traveled. Bit the bullet and spent money as if we had it. Went to Italy, Ireland, and cruised to Alaska. A fabulous experience and one we are so grateful for. We could never do it now.

• SSHarkey

Oh how I relate to what you’re saying!!! I’ve had 55 years with him repairing and maintaining. Now to be unable do the simplest of things. Like you, I try to carefully maneuver him towards what he can still do while shifting his attention away from what he can’t. I want him to have his dignity. And like you said, he’s still aware. It’s a fine line.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more