Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Calling my DH at MCF - heartbreaking

SDianeL
SDianeL Member Posts: 884
500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

To recap: I had to immediately place my DH in MCF Dec 5th because of my devastating diagnosis of a rare aggressive form of breast cancer that I needed immediate aggressive treatment for. I have only been able to visit him once on Christmas Day due to my low immune system from chemo. I call him and we can't carry on a conversation. He cries. I cry. He asks what time I'm coming to get him. He's being well cared for but it's so heartbreaking for me not to be able to have a conversation with him or go visit. Appreciate the thoughts and prayers.

Comments

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I have been praying for you, Diane, and will continue to do so.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad to hear from you. If it helps at all, he probably doesn't have the sense of time that you do, so hopefully he is spared feeling so bereft. It's a small mercy.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You're both in my thoughts.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Your DH is well cared for. Please focus on getting well yourself. Sending you good thoughts and well wishes!

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I can only imagine what you must be going through. You are both in my thoughts. Remind yourself he is in good hands and focus on getting yourself well.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

When my mom was in MC time wasn't the same as it is for us and I think right now the most important thing you can do is to take care of yourself. There is a treatment for your condition that needs to be done and there is no treatment for his condition. Sounds like he is getting good care and you need good car too.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((SDianeL)))

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sending prayers and hugs to you! As others have mentioned your dh is being cared for so you need to focus on yourself now. You have to focus on getting yourself well so you can see your dh! God bless you and your dh!!

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so glad you posted, Diane, as I’ve been thinking about you and your husband. You have been through so much, I cannot imagine. As others have said, your husband is being well cared for. It’s time to focus on you and getting you back healed and strong. Sending a big hug and prayers.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for posting! I hope your treatment is going well . I have been thinking about you and your DH. HUGS!

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So, so sorry for all you're going through. Keeping my hopes high that you will improve enough so you can be face-to-face. For our LOs who live in the moment, they may not recall how long it's been since you've spoken or visited. Care for yourself and keep us posted.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@SDianeL

I am so sorry. There is nothing fair or easy about the situation you are in.

Perhaps when the weather warms, he'll be more settled in the MCF and you'll be able to visit outside.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney