Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Curious About Seroquel

My DH has been on Seroquel 50mg 2 weeks now and I’ve noticed he doesn’t get as agitated. He still has delusions, especially not recognizing me on & off during the day and all the way till bedtime. Has anyone had experience with this medication where the delusions totally disappear the longer you take it or am I hoping for too much!!

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

When my DW started on seroquel it took about 2 weeks to start seeing the benefits of the medication but it was about 6 weeks before I saw the full benefits and the delusions were under control. As far as your DH not recognizing you, that might be “lost information” as opposed to a delusion. If this is the case I know how painful this loss is and I’m sorry you are going through it. My DW started not recognizing me around the time the delusions started, the delusions have been under control for close to 4 years but recognition of me has only returned in a few very fleeting moments.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@avieDa921)

Delusions are false beliefs. Both dad and my aunt had delusions start by around stage 4. It was interesting how their personalities informed what they believed. My dad had a challenging personality and believed I was stealing and mishandling his money. A deep dive into his investments once mom got a POA showed that he had lost $360K in the market day-trading which, coincidentally was how much I stole. My sweet aunt believed her MCF was the married students' dorm at Rutgers and that her late DH was away on maneuvers and would be home soon.

Around this time, my aunt didn't recognize her sister (my mom) and thought I was her. Dad, on the other hand, never forgot who mom and I were although he sometimes believed it was 1979 and that my mom looked "really old today". He was hazier on others. My friend's mom forgot who she was but used to assure her that "you are my favorite of my nurses". She used to brag on what a wonder daughter she had and how they'd be fast friends when they met which was bittersweet.

Dad took Seroquel-- 25mg morning and evening. He was on some other psychoactive meds as well. The Seroquel seemed to dial back his reaction to his false beliefs which made him less angry/more agreeable to care at home. Dad also had hallucinations-- initially auditory and later visual as well. Seroquel is meant to dampen these down. I don't know if it did, but I will say dad's visual hallucinations were all fairly benign or even pleasurable for him. The auditory ones were mostly "the kids" playing upstairs past their bedtime; mom dealt with that by leaving the room for a bit and reporting back that she's told the kids to settle down.

HB

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DW went through 12.5, 25, 50, 100mg evening then +25 morning then +25 evening. It helped reduce severity and frequency of agitation - less angry, fewer crying jags. Not eliminated completely but livable again for me. Problem has been the improvements seem to last 6-8 weeks then less effective so we are in cycles of adjusting meds. Everyone is different, keep in touch with doctor and let them know what is working or not.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more