Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Our Journey is Over

My husband passed 1/5/2024. I would like to remember him as the handsome, charming man I met 5 years ago and maybe that will come with time. This horrible disease takes everything. Surprisingly it wasn't ALZ but Stage 4 metastatic lung cancer, very aggressive small cell. We had no idea he had it. The doctors said the Alzheimers most likely kept him from recognizing the symptoms as they came on...he never complained at all. His arm swelled Christmas day so we went to the ER. It only took about an hour to find that his lungs were filled with tumors and his heart and aorta were surrounded. There were masses on his spine and in his brain as well. There was nothing they could do and he died peacefully in his sleep 8 days later.

Through these last months he had become more immobile and I did hire in home care to help. He, always the engineer, said he just needed to walk and exercise more, which he did. He continued to be angry and belligerent and aggressive, but much weaker so easier to manage. He had many doctor appointments and none ever suspected. I am grateful and feel blessed that he did not have to suffer years more of this disease. He had become incontinent and was struggling to accept help, making continual huge messes as he tried to handle things himself. I miss him, I miss us, I long for the life and dreams we were supposed to have, and at the same time I am at peace and glad this is over. Thanks for all your support thru these years.

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Cinsababe so very sorry for your loss

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Cinsababe,

Thanks for sharing your experience and feelings.

Hoping much lightness fills your world and heart in the time to come.

Blessings come in many ways, sometimes in ways we'd never considered as possible blessings.

Hoping continued peace and happy memories find you always.

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Cindy,

I truly am sorry for your loss. I hope you're able to find some relief and peace.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad to hear from you but so sorry for your loss. He was fortunate to have you to see him through. Glad he didn't linger and I hope you can find some peace now.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

i remember you well from earlier Posts and extend my sympathy on the loss of your husband. Your deep caring and excellent care brought much more quality to his life during some difficult times; I wish you well.

J.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My deepest condolences for your loss.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Cinsababe, I’ve wondered how you were doing. My condolences to you. You’ve been a great caregiver in challenging circumstances. Thank you for sharing the news with us. Be kind to yourself during this transition to Stage 8.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I’m so sorry for the loss of your husband. May you find peace and comfort in the coming days.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m sorry for the loss of your husband. I know your road was especially difficult since the ALZ 1) came on soon after you’d started your relationship and 2) brought behavioral challenges.

I lost a cousin to lung cancer that was only detected a month before he passed and had spread just like your spouse’s. He didn’t have dementia. Sometimes things just don’t have recognizable symptoms.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Condolences all around. Please start taking care of yourself, and may the loving memories soothe your grief in the days ahead.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Heartfelt condolences to you - may you find strength to carry you thru Stage 8. So sorry....

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. Ay you find some peace in the days ahead.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am so sorry for your loss! No matter how long you’ve been together, it’s so difficult!

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I am so sorry for your loss.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am very sorry for your loss.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I am sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to find peace in the days and months to come. Your journey was exceptionally tragic; rest now and heal. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• annahowie
    annahowie Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I am so sorry for your loss. Praying for peace and comfort for you during this time

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

i share in your sadness, and hope for good things going forward.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I add my condolences to all the others. Prayers for you during the coming days and months. May the sweet memories guide you through.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Sending my condolences. Remember the man you loved in his best days. Time heals all wounds. It really does. Look at photos from when he was well & that will bring back all the good memories. May peace be with you. You took care of him. That is special. That is love. You should be proud.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am sorry for the loss of your dear husband. I wish you peace and strength as you go forward.

HB

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending you virtual hugs and well wishes for a future that uplifts the positive memories and allows the tough ones to fade in time. I am glad he (you both) received an exit strategy from all this though I am so sorry for your loss. Your post is so beautiful.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So sorry to hear of the loss of your dear husband. So hard even when it happens that he didn't have to fight Alz anymore. Hoping that those good memories emerge again as time passes. My condolences.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am glad you are feeling at peace now from the terrible journey. So sorry your DH had a rough time. Hugs to you and your family.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Deepest condolences to you Cinsababe. Yours was an especially challenging journey. But he is no longer suffering, and I hope you heal and find peace in the weeks and months ahead.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry for your loss. He was blessed to have you!

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

So very sorry for your loss. Sending prayers and hugs to you during this very difficult time.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more