Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Working and caring for spouse with AD

Last February, I abruptly had to leave my job to care full Time for DH. I thought it would be six months to get him through cancer treatment and then place in memory care. Almost a year later, still caring for him full time at home but am trying to find a part time position. We do not have children yo help us out. Any advice on how those who do both handle it. I am getting attractive opportunities but keep passing , we could benefit from the money not to mention my mental health. Thanks for sharing your experience. !

Comments

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I’m not able to do both career + caregiving, and accepted involuntary separation from my job last March. Those I have seen here get help in the form of day care or in-home caregiver, either hired or family. I suggest you figure out what can sustainably replace you first, to free up your time to return to work. Then you will have confidence in taking on something new. For myself I have tried and failed alternatives, now looking at MC as the next step in our journey.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you both for your thoughtful insights . It reaffirms Why I am feeling so frustrated in finding the balance I need so desperately in my life. Every time I feel excited about a new opportunity, there are so many obstacles.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I'm in the same boat and am very lucky to have a hybrid work plan that let's me work from home 2 days a week. My partner doesn't go to a day program but somehow manages to volunteer at Habitat ReStore 2 afternoons a week. Those are the only times I'm alone in our house and I don't get much work done - sometimes I eat cookies and wash the kitchen floor. :-) My boss and her boss both know what's going on at home and have been really understanding. I would go absolutely crazy if I couldn't get out of here to go to work. I do know that I will hit the first possible retirement age right around the time my partner may be ready for MC so I'm going to try to hold out and work as long as humanly possible so I don't retire just at the point where I need the income and have the time to work.

• avieDa921)
    avieDa921) Member Posts: 43
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Hi neighbor, I’m from Missouri. My DH has ALZ 6 years now & our journey together has been frustrating! Once you get used to how things are, then something else comes along that you have to get used to again! My DH & I were both retired 14 years when he was diagnosed with it! I can’t imagine having to work & caring for my DH. My heart goes out to you & I do hope you can get help to get you where you need to be to give you peace of mind!

Best Wishes!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney