Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sad and just need to talk with folks who understand

Our dear neighbor and friend died this morning. Hearing of her death made me so sad that DH asked what was wrong and I told him. But throughout the day he kept asking me "what's going on next door". He can't recall what happened but does have a glimmer that there is something not right.

I am usually used to his repeated questions but this one gets to me. I have been able to just matter of factly say that she passed, but then the sadness that I've been able to suppress comes back again (but I'm able to hide it from him).

It's just another of those small things that make this disease so hard. I'm just feeling sorry for myself - missing her and missing the consolation that my DH used to provide when I was sad. Thanks for letting me vent. Any suggestions for me? All I can think of is to just let time ease my sadness at missing my friend.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry aconite. I know the feeling of having to suppress your emotions and of desperately missing that consolation from your spouse. That's not a pity party, that's true grief. Sending warm thoughts your way.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@aconite

I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

IME, spending time with others who share the loss has been helpful when possible.

HB

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Aconite I'm so very sorry for your loss of your dear neighbor. May you be blessed with the strength you need.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend and neighbor. Sending warm hugs

• annahowie
    annahowie Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

So sorry for the loss of your neighbor and friend. This disease is cruel in so many ways not just for those afflicted but the family. I feel your pain, trying to suppress our own feeling is excruciatingly painful. My DH was always my rock and I never held anything back. Not being able to do that anymore is difficult for all of us - on on side we are their caregiver and looking out for their best interests, safety and health and on the other side we were their partner and shared everything and that is no longer the same. Get it out here with us as we totally understand the situation, if you have someone nearby that is your sounding board let it all out with them.

Sending you love and peace

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I surely do understand how you feel. At times, a grief shared is a grief we can bear more easily. My DS and DIL had a miscarriage this fall and it made all of us sad. It hurt that my DH not only couldn't understand our sadness, but that he asked rather tactless questions about it. It's ok to find a time and place to express and feel not only your grief about losing a friend and neighbor, but at losing the comfort of a spouse who shares it with you. My condolences.

• Kat63
    Kat63 Member Posts: 60
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

aconite, I just experienced the same thing. Our next door neighbor died this past week and this event did not register at all with my DH. That night as we went to bed and DH had already fell asleep, I laid there and cried. I was sad about my neighbor but also I was crying because I missed my husband who was always there for me, to talk to, to lean on, to help me through everything. I miss him so much. I can only express this with this group, as others just don’t understand.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend. The complete cutoff of emotions is very very difficult for me. My DH is just so apathetic and so uncaring. It’s just heartbreaking to witness the loss of emotions, especially the hugs and warm embraces. I cry every day over this. I too am so glad we have this outlet. It helps so very much. Hugs and thoughts are with you💙

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Aconite so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. A couple of years ago my dh’s sister passed away, it was so sudden, she had not been sick or any of that. She and I were more like sisters, we could and did talk about anything and everything, even my dh. When my niece called to let me know I was so grateful that it was after dh was asleep. I cried until I had no more tears! I couldn’t even tell my dh about his sister and it still hurts. I miss her everyday! Praying for you and all this forum family!

• brs
    brs Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I'm very sorry of the loss of your friend. Your feelings matter and expressing grief is a natural human response. My DH rarely expresses empathy any longer and sometimes makes me wonder of my own emotional responses. We need to remind ourselves that our sensitivity to others is a form of loving.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    edited January 22

My condolences on the loss of your friend and neighbor. I can relate to your grief over both the loss of your friend and the loss of your DH's emotional support. My mother appears to have had a stroke and is moving from AL to MC tomorrow due to a sudden downturn in demeanor and very bizarre behaviors. Up until mid-December I spoke with her on the phone nearly every evening. Despite moderate Alzheimer's symptoms, she was my rock during all of my DH's hospitalizations the past few months and was very knowledgeable about Alzheimer's from caring for my father for many years. I feel like I have lost my mother and of course, cannot discuss my feelings with DH (ALZ Stage 6). Fortunately he hasn't asked about her since then, so I don't have to try to choke back my feelings of loss and grief as I slowly lose them both.

• aconite
    aconite Member Posts: 30
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Thank all of you for the caring thoughts!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more