Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

58 and diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s

Hi Everyone,

I’m 58 and diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. Confirmed by blood test and spinal fluid. Tests were done because I had a seizure a year ago which caused some memory problems and I have been seeing a Neurologist. We did have some discussion regarding did seizure cause Alzheimer’s or did Alzheimer’s cause the Seizure. My caregiver is currently recommending Leqembi and I trust them but side effects are scary. I am moving forward and waiting to see how much this will cost me. I’m still working as a leader and engineer in a fortune 10 company and able to function fine and still learn but I struggle with dates and misplacing everything at home.

I’ve only seen one doctor and this is my first visit to a forum. I’m reading about exercise and diet but my neurologist is only considering medicine. I’m looking for advice from others in a similar position as well as anyone who has advice. I’m trying to be positive and I have a house full of supportive family that loves me.

We took care of my father-n-law as he progressed with Alzheimer’s and I know how tough it can be but it was still rewarding to have him with us. I hate the thought of leaving my wife with this after she already had to do it with her father.

I’m willing to try any trials even if there are scary side effects like Leqembi has but I wasnt to make sure the benefits are worth the risks.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas or help.

Comments

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hi havrek,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My docotr in Memory Care has suggested to continue to exercise and socialize as much as possible.Also, if you enjoy doing hobbies continue them. I am a pescatarian, which this never prevented me from getting EOA. I have have heard of the Mind diet. Mediterranean and dash combined I believe. I am limited to participate with some of the trials. I do take Aeicept/Donezipil. Having supportive family will help you. I have a long family history of Alzheimer’s.

• Indigal
    Indigal Member Posts: 15
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am 59 and doing all of the lifestyle things I can to help my brain. There is a lot of research on exercise and brain health. I make of point of exercising 6 days a week. I do my best to eat a heart healthy diet since what is good for the heart is good for the brain. I also make a point to do new things.

Since you are still working, you are getting cognitive stimulation. In my experience, doctors tend to focus on medications but not other things you can do to slow progression.

You have a good point about trials and making sure the benefits are worth the risks. Do your research before consenting to be in a trial. I am interested in being in a trial once I get a formal diagnosis. However, I think I would be pretty selective about the type of trial I would be willing to be in.

Best of luck to you. I hope we hear from you again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more