Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Testing during early stages

Lgb35
Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I am wondering about testing to monitor progression during the early stages. DH is 60. Still working and has diagnosis of MCI. We have gone through all the tests. MRI, spinal tap, neuropsychological testing, countless blood tests. We are not sure if he has Alzheimer’s or FTD as he is presenting as atypical for both. Alzheimer’s markers are borderline. He has been on aricept for 3 years. He is wanting to repeat the testing to see if there have been changes from a year ago. How often did you all repeat the same tests and for how long?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi lgb. There's not much point to repeating any of the tests except the ones for neurocognitive impairment (MOCA, for example). None are definitive. We all wish there were more to go by. Your observation of him is probably as sensitive a test of progression as any, if not more so.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW has had 2 tests about a year apart. There was significant progression, but she still received an MCI diagnosis, though complicated by anxiety and caregiver stress. I was quite surprised that the 2nd test didn’t receive an Alzheimer’s diagnosis. We’re having a 3rd done on March 1. If she is diagnosed with a form of dementia, we won’t do any more.

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

In earliest days after alz diagnosis DW would get MMSE/MoCA every 6 months and we could see abilities falling off slowly. When she lost self awareness of her condition the testing became a trigger for agitation. She said the tests were stupid, felt frustrated and demoralized at not understanding them nor why she had to take them. We stopped doing them around stage 4/5.

I asked about repeating MRI at some point and they said not useful for measuring progression, they just go by symptoms e.g. declining ADLs.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more