Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Roaring in ears

My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimers/Dementia this past year and has been put on Donepezil 5 mg and Memantine 10mg. She is experiencing a constant roaring in her ears. She has also experienced some very high blood pressure that she has been dealing with too. She is also having problems with diarrhea. She is on so many medications now that I don't know what is causing what. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'm sure others with more knowledge will jump in and answer your question but I did want to mention that high blood pressure can cause or make tinnitus more noticeable so perhaps it's not directly related to the medication. Others here have mentioned that those medications can cause GI symptoms too. I would probably be contacting her doctor to discuss what she is experiencing and to get a complete review of her medications.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. The diarrhea is almost certainly due to the meds, GI side effects are very very common and are the most common reason for stopping these drugs.. Difficult to know which one is responsible if they were started simultaneously. You may want to discontinue them one at a time to see if you can figure it out.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My wife just stated Memantine 10mg2x a day , no side effects , I noticed she’s asking same at times more often everything is the same which is good o guess

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more