Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Depressed or just tired mind?

My wife (early stage 4 Alzheimer's) sometimes gets quiet and sullen-looking. My intuition says she is depressed and I should do something to cheer her up. On the other hand I think maybe it's just getting late in the day and her mind is tired and simply doesn't want to think. Anyone else record comparable observations? Have any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    edited January 30

My DH does get depressed. It can be morning or later in the day. I have tried to get him on a walk, to the beach, out to eat, you name it. It’s always “no.” He prefers to just have me sit next to him while he watches endless YouTube videos. I either cook or clean and take a short walk alone. I’ve reached the point that I just cannot be “everything.” If he’s comfortable sitting in the couch, I let him be. I will ask daily if he would like to go somewhere. If he says no, I leave it at that.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

My wife is pretty easy to care for. She sleeps until afternoon and then only wants to sit and watch TV, I try to get her to go do something because she still can but she don't want to go or do anything. I recently I was able to get her to tell me why she didn't want to do anything, and she said it was just too much. I think she meant to much motion and activity for her to feel comfortable with. She never looks really happy no matter what I say or do. She has lost any concern for how others including me feels about anything. It is lonely when she is asleep but I feel even more lonely when she is awake because she wants me to be sitting there with her watching the same old shows over and over instead of doing anything I might enjoy. I have thought about memory care but like I said she is pretty easy to care for. She is not incontinent or violent (she does have some delusions) so all I have to do is cook and clean that I would do even if she was in memory care and give her her medications. I think it would be easier if we had a close relationship before this disease.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This illness sucks !

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia