Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When to call Hospice?

I read on this site where people said they had wished they had called hospice earlier than they did. My wife is starting into late stage 6. Her physical health seems very good. I asked her doctor for a Hospice referral /evaluation and they came out today. Everything went very well and they are going to start coming 3 days a week to bathe her and wash her hair. Any supplies needed for basically anything pertaining to this disease is cover by them through Medicare part A. For over 3 years my wife has seldom got out of my sight...getting a few hours a week is hard to imagine. I know they can't be here for all the poop changing and stuff but I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest. I truly didn't think my wife would qualify...I'm glad she did. I hope if someone reading this is on the border line to call hospice or not, I suggest you call. You can always back out if it doesn't work for your situation. I'm sure it won't be perfect for us but I see a little help.

Comments

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I had both of my parents on hospice care. A true blessing! Last I understood, as long as there’s a chance of death within a 6 month period, they qualify. Then there are regular re-qualifications to do by the staff. But the only time they’d be kicked off is if they’ve improved to the point they’re no longer terminal. My mother had hospice services for 6 months. My father for 18 months. Absolutely heaven!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more