Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

CELA or Attorney Practicing Elder Law

Is there any significance to hiring a CELA over an Attorney that advertises they practice elder law but is not designated as a CELA?

Comments

• Elizabeth607
    Elizabeth607 Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Not necessary to respond. I did a search on this forum and found lots of info. Do not know how to delete my post. Sorry, new to this "new" life.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

No worries. Welcome to the forum. Getting the legal advice early is very, very important. Sometimes it even helps to get more than one opinion and quote. Many offer a free initial consultation. Needing advice and help for Medicaid qualification typically costs more because it takes more work. Good for you for getting this piece taken care of. Remember that your own documents will need to be redone--your affected spouse (assuming it's your spouse) will not be able to serve as your POA/executor. This is sad, and I did that part in private as my partner's feelings would have been hurt (she still has anosognosia and doesn't recognize that she's impaired)

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Did same thing wit POA Last week mine also anosognosia

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Not everyone has access to CELAs. There is exactly one in my entire state hours away from me. There are however numerous excellent elder law attorneys who have not bothered to go through the CELA certification for a variety of reasons. A reputable attorney who practices mostly in elder law will usually be just fine. Ask around for recommendations and do the initial consult with a couple to get an idea of if they are a good fit.

• Elizabeth607
    Elizabeth607 Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Thank you all for your input.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia