Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

"Blank" Episode

LJCHR
LJCHR Member Posts: 192
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My DH was diagnosed with MCI concerning Alzheimer's in May of 2021. Everything leans to Alzheimer's (familial history, temporal and parietal lobe atrophy, etc). I would guess he was early to mid stage 4.

Yesterday, he had an episode where he said he was "blank" for what seemed about 5 minutes. He said he wasn't dizzy or feel like he would black out, he could see light, things didn't go dark. He said he was simply blank and couldn't think at all. He said it scared him. I did not see him during this episode so I don't know what he looked like.

He has mostly avoided talking about his disease, but after this experience he has opened up. He told me he needed me to oversee everything he does now, that he realizes he can't trust himself to pay his bills, files, etc. He also told his children last night what happened to him.

I told him from my research on the disease, there is no standard to go by and everyone is different. I also told him that it may or may not ever happen again.

I would assume this was a common experience and natural progression of this horrible disease.

Has anyone else had this situation?

Comments

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

That sounds really scary for all of you! Is there any chance it was a seizure of some sort?

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 4

DH has never told me anything like this. But he has been in my line of sight every waking hour for years now since diagnosis (Dr's orders). So I can tell you what I have seen. He has had a few times of appearing to be frozen, in a trance almost and it is scary. No warning, I just realize something's happening to him and his eyes go kind of like he's staring into the abyss. Once it happened on a flight (pre-diagnosis or maybe very early days) and they actually did an all call for any MDs on the flight because he couldn't hear me, then said he was cold. (Although it was warm and I'm remembering now he actually had uncontrollable shivering). Two Dr's responded and checked him out in case it was a TIA but his blood pressure, heart, and all have no signs of any issues.

After a few minutes it just goes away, he "comes to", and can once again hear me and respond. Sometimes afterward, he breaks out in a cold sweat - profusely. It just runs off of him. (That part has only happened twice or 3 times in 2-3 years).

We are not sure if this is connected, but he also started having episodes that expand into full blown fainting or passing out. It is called a vasovagal syncope. His blood pressure is normally low so that may be a factor,

• The first time it looked like a seizure (scared the crap out of me; I thought he was dying and he'd just graduated from hospice the first time, so I didn't even have backup).
    • Otherwise, he seems fine and then just starts looking like he's going blank.
    • If standing, he may start sagging slowly and I have time to get him into a chair, or to the floor together.
    • Another time within the last year, he kind of pinned me to the side of the bathtub where we both ended up with me stuck with my beloved as a dead weight on my lap, holding him up as he leaning sideways/limp while I tried to sooth him and assure him he was OK and we'd be OK. I had grabbed and hugged him to me from behind as he was losing consciousness in the bathroom. And we slowly sunk down to the edge of the tub, luckily. That was fun. Kept him from falling at least. He came to after about 5 minutes probably, but it felt like 30 lol. Then, I honestly could not stand up with him on my lap though we weigh about the same. And he could not understand what I was asking him to do, to help once he regained consciousness since I was only able to use my words (from behind him), vs. showing him and helping pull him to a standing position from in front, or move a foot or arm here or there for him which is how I help demonstrate and physically help to get him dressed or transferred etc. But he couldn't see me and might not have understood my words at all since -- well dementia. That was one for the books.
    • It has been while since the last time, but today he was sitting and reading (looking at) a book. It hit the floor and I realized it was happening again. He wasn't sagging in the chair, but was awake and not responsive. Breathing. The usual. It is an odd experience but not so scary now that I know it will pass with him no worse for wear. By the time I had reached over to pick the book up and ask if he was OK, he was coming around and started yawning (restoring oxygen). Then it was like it never happened.
    • DH has advanced aphasia so cannot tell me what's happening, plus anosognosia so he's never been aware of his condition/s, plus late stage dementia so he was a very unreliable reporter about anything even when he could still talk. I guess I should start recording the dates but usually just let the hospice nurse know, for the record.

It sounds like it may be time for your LO to have constant supervision lest he fall or something else happens during these episodes if they recur. At least he was aware enough to understand the implications, and had the judgment to tell you and ask for help. That is tough, but is a blessing. When their brain starts playing tricks on them and trust may be compromised, or if they have zero awareness of impairment like my DH (anosognosia) it gets a lot harder to protect them and you.

Good luck to you. I hope you can find out what happened to him and that it is otherwise harmless.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

My wife has passed out three times that I know of this past year. She starts by her head bobbing like she is having a hard time holding it up so now I know when it is going to happen. Then she slowly passes out for about 5 minutes then slowly comes back around and is week. It takes a couple of hours for her to come all the way back to her base line. We have an appointment with a neurologist on the 21st of this month to try and find out if it is some kind of seizure. I didn't know this kind of thing was simi common with this disease. I will post what I find out.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 4

Imagine if any of our LOs were driving when this happened! I shudder to think of the consequences.

This is one example of why I am so concerned about the risks that unknowing PWDs and caregivers are taking by waiting until something significant happens, to disappear the keys or car.

I know it feels restrictive and pre-emptive to some who advocate for the rights of PWDs and I am a HUGE supporter of not curtailing independence, and honoring their right to live (and die) according to their prior wishes for as long as possible to the extent feasible. But driving with dementia into early mid-stages can kill or maim others with little advance warning (especially if families or friends are in denial or just not educated on the vast array of risks and realities with dementia). So I pulled out all the stops to get DH off the road as soon as I learned (here) what was at stake. His Dr was in full agreement and urging the driving assessment which DH would not take.

This thread has reminded me of how horribly stressful that time period was and also reassures me once again that it was worth all the heartache, lost sleep, expense, fears and tears. Without my best friend and love of my life to negotiate the challenges together due to his anosognosia, and non-compliance with Drs orders. The shenanigans I had to pull over and over, to get him off the road without knowing I was involved at all (!) What if he had had his first "blank" or fainting moment behind the wheel? I am grateful today, that he did not.

• Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

What you are witnessing may be a petit mal seizure. When my DH has them he is frozen in time and totally unaware of what is happening. He doesn’t hear what is said. It is brief in time (seconds to minutes) and usually he smacks his lips. He recovers quickly and doesn’t have any memory of it. He had a bad car accident while having one, fortunately no one was hurt and no longer could drive.

He does take medication for this condition and it needs to be adjusted every so often if he has a breakthrough event.

I would recommend you contact his neurologist about this as it is very treatable.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

TALK WITH YOUR HUSBAND'S DR ASAP!!!

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Thanks you all for your help with this. I had not even thought of a seizure but do feel that may be what happened. I have a friend who lost their spouse to Alzheimer's and I talked about this to him today. He said his wife also experienced seizures.

I plan to contact our doctor.

This site is wonderful.

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My daughter played softball with a young lady who had "absence seizures" (petit mal seizures). She was a pitcher and occasionally was called for balks as she would stop mid pitch for a few seconds then "come to" and restart the pitch. Her seizures lasted for usually less than 15-20 seconds. She just stopped, looked blank and would suddenly begin to move or speak again. Fortunately, this was in 10U (no big power hitters or line drives back to the pitcher) and she moved on to play basketball and was able to play college ball. @LJCHR it definitely could be seizures.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more