Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

An Old Question With Many Answers

VKB
VKB Member Posts: 323
Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

When I took care of both my parents at home, I certainly did not always make the right decisions for them and for myself. I understand everyone here must find their own way and no one should criticize. I tried to do my best and certainly there are many here who are doing the same.

I often write about and admire loving, caring at home caregivers who are giving up large chunks of their lives out of love or loyalty or both. I have often wondered, when does Memory Care or a Nursing Home Care become the kindest decision for the person cared for, the caregiver or both of them?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad to see this discussion. Having been forced by circumstance into placement, I have to say that I think/sense that there is still some anti-placement bias in the forum. I feel guilty that I wasn't able to keep my partner home, or keep her home longer.

I am lucky that I could afford it. But that wasn't the deciding factor; i know it is for some. The deciding factor for us was her threats of aggression/violence--which have never been repeated in MC--and inability to hire help at home in our rural area. I don't think that has made me any less loving or less loyal to my partner than someone who manages to keep their LO home.

I do think we need to acknowledge that every circumstance is different, and we all make different choices for different reasons. As you said VKB when starting the thread, this has been answered a thousand times over.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I agonized over placement before pulling the trigger. I never would have believed this beforehand but placement was absolutely the best decision for my wife. Placement provided so much enrichment to her life through activities and socialization that I could not provide at home. I am very fortunate that DW is very happy in MC, I visit her 5 days a week and often find her smiling, singing, dancing or laughing. My cell phone is full of short videos of her enjoying herself. I have attempted to upload some of these videos to this site but it does not appear it allows video uploads.

It is true that placement allowed me to stop being a caregiver and return to being her husband and advocate. When DW was home I attended to all her personal needs which often made me the bad guy. She hated bathing, taking medications, help needed with bathrooming, etc.This always made me the bad guy and created stress for both of us. I learned through my experience that placement can provide the best quality of like for our LOs.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I am sure this has been an issue discussed many times but I appreciate hearing what others think and have done. I know each case and situation is deferent but by hearing what and why other have done or think helps me in dealing with my unique situation. I will be checking back to see what else is posted. Thank you.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I think when a family member is burned out and feeling guilty for considering placement it's certainly understandable. No one wants to think someone else could care for our loved one as well as we can. One thing that's sometimes overlooked in this situation is that no one would be caring for our loved one. The caregivers at a facility have a team--they have someone they can call for help, they're only on duty for 8-12 hours at a time, and they have days off. These are all advantages that home caregivers typically do not have.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This is another situation much like Joe C's. My SIL was in a MCF, and she thrived there until just before death. She would often dance with the personnel there, and was always happy. Maybe that had something to do with her normal personality because she was always the life of the party. But being in a facility was good for her.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more