Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New symptom - at least for me snd DH

I was wondering if anyone experienced this. In the middle of the night DH started fighting “someone” and unintentionally hit me. He did not hurt me at all. I woke him up snd said he had a very strange experience and told me he was truly sorry. DH is stage 6. Is he acting out a dream? I am not afraid bout it would help me deal with this new phase of the disease. 😞

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi BH-even folks without dementia can do this, it’s a specific form of sleep disturbance known as REM sleep behavior disorder. Definitely talk to his docs, as medication may help.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband has similar dreams or delusions at night. He has conversations that are angry at times. He looked at me one morning and angrily told me to get out immediately with a menacing glare which was a little scary. Daytime He is quiet and mild.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Dear GiGi 1963 my husband is the same His glare and demeanor are very scary in the middle of the night. I get up Several times as he gets lost This is a new level-trying to physically engage with someone. In the morning he is so sweet

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Yes, my DH started acting out his dreams after his diagnosis. One night he doubled his fist and hit me on the arm - so hard that had it been my nose he would have probably broken it. Sometimes he remembers his nightmares - one night he grabbed me real hard around the shoulders. I woke him up and asked what he was dreaming and he said that someone was trying to take me. Breaks my heart. I endured his constant twitching and fighting in his sleep until I had to go on blood thinners last July. I have moved into another room because I'm fearful of a brain-bleed if he were to hit me in the head, and I am getting a good night's sleep which I need to take care of him.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Absolutely! My husband does that so much we had to switch to twin beds to protect me from getting hurt. Not only that, he thrashed so much he threw himself out of the bed several times. Ended up with a hand fracture once. Our neurologist explained to us that it was REM Sleep Disorder. Basically the functional part of the brain that causes the body to go into a deep sleep pattern is now damaged. So the muscles are “acting out” the dr, as you mentioned. He’s now on a sedative that helps immensely. And has a bed rail to protect him from crashing on the floor. He’s also becoming more verbal he dreams.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more