Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

For some time now, I've been having trouble remembering a certain word that I use every so often. That word is "subjective". When I can't think of that word, it bothers me, and I might dwell on it for a day or a week before it finally pops in my head again. Sometimes when I can't think of it I might say "That's a matter of opinion" or work around it in another way. Does anyone else experience this? It's the only word I have trouble with, and this has been ongoing for maybe a year or more.

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Well . .. that sort of thing is often caused by normal aging. Once in awhile, I find myself losing a word I know very well . . . later, up it pops . . . . tardy but there . . . normal aging for the most part.

Do look it up with Google; much information. Occasional word recall lapse normal when aging; there is also info re further issues that can possibly raise more questions.

J.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

It happens to me, too, sometimes. Various words, but they always arise with time. Seems like the "library" in my mind is a bit dusty and disorganized, but the "books" (words) are still there.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

A variation if that counts.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I have had that happen for many years. 40 years ago I guy I worked with was walking away and I wanted to say something to him but couldn't remember his name. I remembered it right after that and now 40 years later I remember the incident and the coworkers name. Things like that has happened many time and is actually happening right now. I was going to give another example about a drug that I often forget the name of and I can't think of it right now either. I don't know why it happens but I don't worry about it because I was in business for 25 years and had to remember dates and appointment and that was not a problem.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I was just trying to think of the term "luggage tag". I thought, paper to write your name on on a suitcase. But after a few moments, luggage tag floated to the surface. It's as if it was buried in the basement of my mind.

Iris

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed. Iam forgetting words all the time. I even can walk into a room and not remember why I went there. I don't worry about it. Hugs Zetta

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

An analogy I've used is that age-related forgetfulness is a file retrieval problem. You know how it is: the more files you get the harder it is to find the one you want. But it'll come to you.

Alzheimer's is like a slow burn in the fileroom. It's smoldering, you don't see the flames, but when a file is gone, it's gone. You're not going to find it again.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I have trouble all the time retrieving words. One word I really struggle with is snapdragon. It’s a type of flower that I plant every winter. I finally got the bright idea of snapping my fingers. And every time the finger snapping brings to mind the name snapdragon. Now explain to me why I can remember to snap my fingers to remind me of the name of the flower but I can’t just come up with the name?!?

• Ragfoot
    Ragfoot Member Posts: 18
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

For me the word is "stable" (like rock solid). I've tried using a memory cue like trying to remember a place for horses, but I can't remember "a place for horses" I just remember it has something to do with a ranch.

My solution was to place the word "stable" into a sticky note on my phone. So far, that has worked.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

We are all overwhelmed with names and words and facts. I used to depend on my DH to tell me what I could not remember, and he remembered everything. Now it's reversed. He is often appreciative.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Absolutely! Hardly a day goes by that I’m not grappling for a word. I think you and I are in the same age bracket. I’m 75. And of course when that happens I could easily let my mind run with ALZ thoughts. But it’s just what everyone else has said. Age, normal stuff. For me it’s gabapentin. A nerve calming medication makes my brain a little fuzzy. But I’ll take fuzzy over pain.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Agree with Ragfoot. Write it down on a piece of paper and keep it in your pocket, wallet or phone. Then you can retrieve it when needed.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I’m glad I’m not the only one! It’s like when I walk up the stairs to get something and then forget what it was when I get to the top, only to remember a few minutes later. The older we get, the more experiences we’ve had and the more information we’ve read, especially now with the internet, having only to Google a topic to get pages and pages of explanations.

I always say it’s not a matter of not having enough memory, it’s not having enough RAM. 😁(Random access memory. When you add more to your computer, it can really speed things up. It’s all there, it’s just a matter of getting to it quickly.)

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed, It happens to me, particularly with people's names. I find if I relax and not get upset about it, I remember it. For me right now, my head is always swirling with so many worries and fears that I fell I am turning into a scatterbrain. I recently read a book "Memory" which explained that older brains have accumulated a lot more information and sometimes it just takes awhile to sort through all of it.

Given that we are or have experienced the terrors of Alzheimer's, I think we are all hyper-sensitive to the possibility that it will appear in us.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This turned out to be an interesting thread. I'm a little surprised. No, I don't think I have a form of dementia. But when I can't think of a word I know, it bothers me. And it's true that I don't always know why I walked into a room. Until I go back where I came from. 😊 A few days ago, like Pat, I found that not being able to find the word "subjective" became the subject. So far that works!

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I like to think my brain is so full of stuff (euphemism ;-) that when there's new stuff, some of the old stuff gets pushed out.

Regarding getting to a room and forgetting why you're there, another one is going to the wrong cabinet or drawer in the kitchen. You know you want the peanut butter, so why did you go to the cabinet next to it?

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I joke with DW that I'm her memory now. It's hard remembering twice as much stuff. I'm always keeping an eye on things she's moved in case I need to find them again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more