Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Organizing files, anyone?

M5M
M5M Member Posts: 114
Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I am working to revamp and organize our files...employment history, car title, birth/death/marriage certificates, house....etc. I'm wondering if someone might have a filing system they would share? Alphabetical? By Subject Matter? I think I get overwhelmed just looking at the stacks and old files! Suggestions welcomed!

Comments

• Wag91
    Wag91 Member Posts: 24
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Hi M5M,

I made 2 piles....."Keep" and "Shred" It took some time but once I got rid of a bunch of old papers (so much can be retrieved online) I didn't have much left to organize. Everything fits nicely in a small file cabinet, all in one place. It was very therapeutic for me and freeing in a way....I hope this helps.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m POA for my 98 year old Father in law. I’m 67. My daughter has agreed to take over should I pass away first.

All paperwork is filed by subject heading with any cross reference notes on the file folder.

Passwords are in my safe which she has access to. Also in the safe: Insurance policies, wills, POA documents, bank accounts info, etc. with a list of “who to contact “ for all retirement, annuities, VA, funeral homes, social security.

• Dunno
    Dunno Member Posts: 47
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I'm driving a 2017 pickup and 2019 Buick because I cant find the titles :)

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more