Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

sundowning, yes; moon-downing?

l7pla1w2
l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'm aware of sundowning, and DW does exhibit that sometimes. Last night, though, she was further off-kilter than usual, and I note it's a new moon. Have there been studies of correlation between moon phases and delusions?

In the past few days, DW seems to have entered a new level. She's started insisting that her husband divorced her, that she's been living alone for some time. Last night she claimed that she had been away for a few days and was happy I took care of the house and the dog. Today she was quite despondent and depressed that her husband left her without explanation, though she was happy that I, a good friend, was here to help take care of her. I pulled out the album of our wedding pictures. It was a good distraction, and I think it lightened her mood. She recognized me/us in the pictures, but I'm not sure what effect it had on her delusions.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I don't know if there are formal studies on this but many of us here will agree you are on to something. The full moon effect is definitely a thing!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@l7pla1w2

A number of folks of the front-porch "Friends" thread have experienced this phenomenon.

HB

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

We also have sunrise-downing, noon-downing, and just random episodes that can be triggered by discomfort, unexpected noises, or nothing at all. Very challenging.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more