Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Life is just one endless round of show and tell

Hello, fellow travelers. I am posting about something that I'm dealing with that I have not seen posts about before. DH was Dxd 6/21; I estimate him as mid-stage 5 now. In the early days post-diagnosis, he scribbled furiously in little notebooks, trying to hold onto names and memories of things (he was a physician). Now, 2.5 years later, he carries many of those piles of paper in little cases on his person and produces them to show people without the slightest provocation. Where he had licenses, police courtesy cards, the contents of his wallet, the insignia on his hat, you name it; it all comes out as soon as he sits down with someone else (and with me, too, of course). It is driving me batty. I can usually get him to put it away, but then it all comes back out a few moments later. Today we had lunch with one of my oldest friends and her husband, who were visiting our city, and it happened constantly. At home, he sits in bed and fiddles with this stuff constantly. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

If it was me, I would wait til he was asleep + disappear all of it. If he asks where it is, claim no knowledge. Be warned though, he might become obsessed with something else that you wont like or dislike more than what he is doing now.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Not quite the same, but DW makes notes to herself, cuts out pieces of paper from mail, music and theater programs, cuts up emails. These scraps of paper litter her desk. As she sifts through the clutter, she will fixate on one and ask me the same questions over and over. Did I do this? (Usually months ago or months in the future.) Do you know what this means? Have we sent them (charities) money?

I've also gotten advice to make this stuff disappear, and I do that occasionally (by shredding, otherwise she finds it in the trash), but I can't bring myself to get rid of all of it.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My partner does it too tigersmom. Since she's been in MC, it usually consists of multiple little pieces of paper with my phone number on it and a few other random things (for instance, the OT wrote down her name for her when she was introduced). She fidgets with them constantly, and if removed or thrown away she'll just start over with something else. It's an interesting phenomenon. So many little quirks to this disease-the fidgeting, the constant packing up/moving things around, for some the wandering and inability to sit still. I'm guessing but i think it just depends on where the brain damage is.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband brings out his wallet and goes through all the cards and money many times at home and out. There is nothing in it now except fake cards. He had a $5 but it fell out and dog ate it. He also spends good part of day trying on hats and arranging his shoes. Very sad.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I feel like it's a harmless enough way for dh to remind himself of his life. But if it makes you crazy, that's reason enough to try to get him onto something else. If he needs to fidget, though, he'll still need to fidget, so make sure to find something for him.

My dh carries a book around with him all the time, although it's been months since he could read at all. I figure it's part of his identity as a reader, and I'm happy he has a way to let caregivers know who he is.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Like GiGi1963, my DH is obsessed with taking his money out of his wallet and counting it. When we go somewhere, I take out most of his cash and hide it until we return. Then I put it back and he is none the wiser. I had to start doing this as recently he cleaned out his wallet. I don’t know when or where but he takes all of his money out at once. He keeps several hundred in there and I was shocked to see an empty wallet. Unfortunately just another thing of “to do’s” added to my task.

Sadly, the good thing is he never remembers how much is in there….,so I get by with removing it before we go places.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

My sister did similar things right around that stage. Not with pieces of paper, but with her "stuff." Just random items, although as I think about it, there was a lot of activity around photos. We always had a lot of loose photos in boxes and those were prime targets.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My HWD/Alz is very proud of his college degree and often shoves his hand in strangers faces to show off his college ring .This is usually if he is passing by someone who is wearing a college logo clothing. It is getting harder to redirect him when he starts talking to strangers .At home he has “files” that he is always going through . A strange disease for sure

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks so much to all who replied. As always, it is comforting to know that I am not in this alone. @GothicGremlin , did Peggy ever stop doing this? And @Jgirl57 , mine is getting harder to redirect as well. He chats up everyone on the subway, where the unspoken rule is to not make eye contact, watch your space and above all, don't talk except to excuse yourself. I am still astounded by how kind people have been and continue to be.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

For me, I just let it be. I feel that My DH is just trying to hold on to the world he know he it’s leaving. 😞

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

@tigersmom Yeah, she eventually stopped. But that behavior lasted a long time - close to mid-stage 6, I'd say.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH picks his face all the time and makes scars and pimples. I can't get his to stop so I say nothing. I already took to a dermatologist to have his last creation removed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more