Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What does Medicade actually take care of when it comes time to need them???

If Medicade steps in what do they take care of financially? This is concerning to me.

Comments

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Medicaid - state aid, takes my husband’s social security check, and pays for his room and board and care in a 24/7 secure facility. The monthly costs adds up to approx $9,000. I’m (community spouse) allowed to have kept a designated portion of our savings (each state has its own limits), house, and a car. My income is my own, but once I pass, the state will seek repayment from our estate.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Every state is different Charley. Where i am, Medicaid will pay for some help at home in order to delay placement in a nursing home. They will pay for nursing home care but not memory care in our state, and they do seek restitution from the estate once the person dies (as far as i know, all states are estate recovery programs). This is why you really need an attorney familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,354
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@charley0419

Cobbling onto what @Nowhere said, this varies a bit state-by-state. It's $733K in my state; average cost in my zip code is just about that but I don't think many single-family homes would meet that threshold.

I also live in a state where Medicaid will not cover memory care facilities.

As always, a CELA will be your best source of information.

HB

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Charley - definitely talk to a CELA. I'm in Delaware and Medicaid covers health, prescription, and dental (in combination with Medicare). Also helps with home health aides (this is based on level of need with activities of daily living), meals, incontinence supplies, durable medical equipment, and some of the costs to make the home accessible. If he needs to go into a facility, it would have to be a skilled nursing facility bc it won't cover memory care until after at least 3 years of private pay.

If I remember correctly, you're in Jersey. Definitely seek an expert there. Good luck!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited February 13

Charlie, I agree that you should talk to a CELA. Don't wait too long, or you'll be sorry.

Here is a link to PACE of NJ. You will have to look at the site to see if it is available where you live. https://www.nj.gov/humanservices/doas/services/l-p/pace/ It really seems to be a good option, and Medicaid does cover it if it is available to you. It does not cover the whole state, only certain areas. Medicaid in IN is set up much like others have posted above. Check out the link to see what PACE offers in NJ. It's quite a bit.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi, I have been advised in my state of Minnesota to make certain that apply for aid at least 6 months before his money runs out ( We are not a married couple). Also, when looking at memory care facilities to make sure they TAKE medicare Waivers at all, and if they do. If there are a limited number available in the facility.

Make sure you get help navigating the system in your state.

Kathy

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Charley, have you seen a CELA yet?

It would help you so much. They can explain all the ins/outs of the system and help you make a solid plan for your DW and for you.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,354
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

See a CELA if you haven't already.

I live just across the river and looked into moving my parents to NJ when I moved them closer to me. A few people in my IRL support group were dealing with parents living there. NJ Medicaid will pay for MC, but I'm told the wait for a bed if one is entering on Medicaid rather than transition to it can be considerable.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more