Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

cat burglar

So DH is in stage 6 and has a tendency to wander at night. He tries to go to work,( he was a milkman for over 40 years). He has gathered random stuff and bring it outside leaving it on the sidewalk. So, I have bought door stop alarms for the front and back doors. They not only stop the door from opening, but set off an alarm that can wake the dead! 1:30am the alarm goes off. I shoot up out of bed ready to run down stairs and stop DH from wandering outside, but notice DH is sleeping in bed next to me.? (deaf as a door nail) Who was trying to open the door??? Being in our 60's and living in a city, I call 911 and explained the situation. She said lock the bedroom door and she is sending a car to check. Then I notice our dog on the bed. This dog will bark if someone thinks of walking by our house. He is ferocious, I have many photos from deliverymen with him behind the glass storm door trying to breakout and attack them. I send him down, and no bark. I venture down the stairs and shut off the alarm and answer the door for the police. They ask to come in and look around. Come on in! Then I think, I had to unlock the door to open it. No one opened this door. At about this time the kitchen alarm goes off. The officer goes in to find the cat playing with it. We all had a good laugh and said they were going to file it as a "cat burglar" . I apologized profusely and they want on their way. DH slept through the whole thing, but awoke half hour later to start his nightly wandering.

Comments

• Windsock
    Windsock Member Posts: 23
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

THANKS SO MUCH! I needed that story this morning!! ❤️

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh my goodness. What a night!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What a night! Thank you for the smile - cat burglar - that was a good one!

J.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Animals are the main reason I don't set our alarm system. Good story but sorry for the disturbed night!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

🤣 You gotta love it when you get something to laugh at.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Judy, thanks for the laugh. Years ago, I had very smart cat who managed to set off the burglar alarm when we weren't home by opening a latch on a garden-level window. Thank goodness it was barred, or both cats would have escaped!

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

That gave me a smile. We have alarms on the doors from the bedroom but they have a pleasant jingle to them. We haven't tested to see if they will wake me up. My DH gets up several times in the night to go to the bathroom and is quiet enough that I seldom hear him but he did attempt to go out the front door (hence alarms), to ask people who he thought were playing music up the street to stop so he could go to sleep. I never heard him and he told me about it.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Cat burglar indeed! Thank you for the laugh!

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

😂😂😹😹

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh that was great! I needed that!

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Cue music; "Oh what a night"