Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

BladderInfection: how to capture urine

I think my loved one has a bladder infection. She is double incontinent and unable to urinate in toilet. Doctor won't give prescription without a test first. I heard there is a pad to place in pull ups. Anyone know of this product or another way? She is so agitated.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I've been told they can use a catheter if you take her to the ER.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

We went through this and it ultimately is why I switched from DH's long time PCP. It is totally insensitive to the sepsis risk, PWD and caregiver stress to help maintain safety in the face of indescribable negative behaviors. We know behavior is communication so in a way it indicates how drastically the UTI is affecting our PWD LOs at the time though they cannot tell us.

The geriatric dr., palliative care, (eventually the hospice dr and nurses of course due to focus on comfort first), and others were much more willing to prescribe a general antibiotic. Even if we could not get a sample though they preferred a sample with culture to pinpoint the bacteria and therefore the best antibiotic to ensure the UTI it is fully cleared. But we went through a period where getting a formal sample was not possible though I was able to use the home strip on a clear catch the first time, so we knew it was likely the same thing. So for a Dr to refuse to prescribe if you can't get your PWD LO to cooperate for a sample makes me furious. It is not that big of a risk and can save so much trauma.

Once, a 911 transport and 14 hour ER stay with no relief for his UTI caused crazy-level escalation that made no sense at all - we did that because it was the only way I could get him help for what I was sure was a UTI. They admitted him to see if they could find something else. (Not). On day 2, in what felt like custody, DH got out of the soft restraints they used after admitting him and was at the door of the elevator (with me right behind him -- trying to keep up while holding the IV rolling rack since he was still hooked up!) DH was 1 step away from escaping from the hospital in freezing weather and just his hospital gown.

And this fiasco was after days of struggling to deal with what seemed to be ramping up at home, and having my suspicions of UTI and request for antibiotics falling on deaf ears. He was on palliative care with a home visiting nurse, but they couldn't bring a sterile cup and I could not leave DH nor get him to go with me to the ER. So I'd been dealing with him, making multiple calls and conversations with NP, after hours messenger, etc. to try to get the Dr. to call me back, or just have the on call authorize a prescription. I was really about ready to scream -- and not at my DH. At least he had an excuse. Brain damage. Here I was having to struggle more with the professionals who are supposed to help us. Many medics seem to have no clue about UTIs and the havoc they wreak. I think it is cruel to withhold the likely med protocol, which is pretty harmless.

The next resident on duty that time said "why don't we just prescribe the antibiotic as a precaution? If he improves, we'll know that was it. He noted my DH was terminal, so its not like this simple treatment is going to create a long term medical issue. (How hard was that?) DAYS wasted. DH with many nonsensical tests, mini-hospital experience with delirium side effect, and me at my wits end, only to end up with exactly what I asked for to begin with.

Sometimes they seem to get stuck on the power to say "No", and just don't use common sense. I hope your situation is sorted soon, with relief for your LO and you, and far less drama than we have experienced, more than once.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It's obvious BW was pretty upset, and I would have been too. The stakes are too high when there is a good chance it is a UTI. Untreated, it could lead to death!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more