Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Opposite Shadowing

wose
wose Member Posts: 137
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I read about shadowing a lot, but my DH is constantly trying to get rid of me. He’s always asking me if I’m going to go upstairs soon. It’s like he doesn’t want me around. He is way beyond apathetic, not interested in anything but watching TV and going for a ride as long as he’s driving. He’s constantly makes snide remarks about me making things difficult for him. I don’t know how to gain his trust or if that’s possible anymore. His friends still seem to be on “his side” which doesn’t help me with his total distrust. It’s so heartbreaking.

Comments

• S. Lynch
    S. Lynch Member Posts: 18
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I’m so sorry this is happening for you. We went through a phase for several months that was all about how the kids and I were out to get him. He was open to repeated discussions when we were both calm that reminded him I love him and want the best for him. The doctors helped with some conversations. I could print their notes and show him when he thought I was crazy. For know he trust me, but I am just a caretaker not really a companion anymore.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I remain worried about you. I hope you can let the neurologist know the true state of affairs. Did she pick up on the fact that your husband was belittling you in front of her? i fear you may have been too nice about all of it. If there's a patient portal, perhaps that will be a channel you can use.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Wose, Did I read that he is still driving? Please don't let him drive. The consequences of him hurting others, himself or you will be devastating.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

wose, My H was always irritated by me being in the open area of the house and engaging in the necessities of daily life, vacuuming, cooking, laundry, etc. I think he needed quiet. He would sometimes go to his room and slam the door. He could just as easily watch TV there. I offered to put a comfortable chair with table. That caused an outburst. And the friends who said nothing was wrong in front of him! OMG! It's all just exhausting.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137

No, of course I do not let him drive. That is precisely where all his rage comes from. Hopefully DMV papers will be arriving shortly, which will have dire unforeseen consequences I fear. But what choice is there? I know he will blame me because as he sees it, “I got the ball rolling”. In the beginning, I told him he could be having mini strokes to help defend my necessary actions but all of that is unforgotten now. And yesterday his son came over and they went out to lunch while I ran errands. His son let him drive unbeknownst to me a good 50 miles interstate traffic. I found out today by noticing the passenger side seat. His son knows better as I’ve told him repeatedly no driving.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I'm glad to hear he's not driving. Your post that started this thread made me think he was.

I'm sorry he's being so mean to you. he's lucky to have you caring for him.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So glad to hear he is not driving. This is tough life. Hang in there.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'd be absolutely furious at his son. You'd be justified to leave and let his son cope. Enough already, they are practically driving you away. Unbelievable.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164

Wose, I can empathize with your pain. My husband shadows but I wonder if that will shift closer to your experiences. The driving thing is the main source of conflict and agitation accusations mistrust etc in our household as well. I feel like it’s killing me. A recent med change has taken a bit of the edge off his ranting but I need it all to go away. His doctor said he would report to the DMV. DH is asking for a test. I need to follow up. I would appreciate hearing how things go once he does hear from the DMV. M1 mentioned the patient portal. I sometimes do use that on my husband’s behalf. He would be livid I know. But the way I see it he no longer has the ability to describe what is going on with him. He is no longer on top of his other med issues. I can see the pain and hell that he going through due to depression and panic over his loss of independence. His providers need to know what is going on. Hang in there.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more