Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Strategies for getting LO to MC

AnderK
AnderK Member Posts: 123
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

As I look to the future, I am wondering how those of you who have placed your LO in MC have physically gotten them to go. Did you tell fiblets to get them there? Did you have a group go? We have no children to help. Thanks.

Comments

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I am blessed in that my DH was diagnosed very early on. We went together to apply for the Veteran's Home. He was so impressed that he would have stayed that day. When the day comes, that could be a different story. He understands right now that being 82, I am limited in the time and energy to take care of him. We have to take one day at a time.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Kathy i think there are several ways to accomplish this, and it depends: if he goes to MC after a hospital stay, they can take him by ambulance. Many who go from home say they are going out to lunch, and the staff at most MC are very experienced at doing this and will meet you at the door. When we moved from one facility to another, friends took my partner and then i met them there after finishing up paperwork. Sometimes people use excuses like needing a place to stay while working on the house because of broken pipes, sewer problem, radon leak, etc.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited February 22

I had made up my mind to put her in MC, but like you I wasn't sure how to actually do it. My daughter and I toured the MC, and being satisfied that it met our goals, we started the process for admission. It just so happened that she needed to go to the ER for something, and she was admitted due to a false positive test for covid. Now I was in talks with the MC to get a bed for her, and they told me one would be available in two days (she was cleared for admittance after lab test proved negative for COVID). The hospital agreed to keep her until she could be transferred. I had my choice - either take her to MC or have her taken by ambulance. I chose the ambulance. I told her she was going for rehab. The ambulance driver told me to just disappear, and they would handle it. I met her at MC.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thx. I have often thought that it woukd ve a fall that gets him to a hospital, and then go from there.

Thanks

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,354
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@AnderK

I went arranged to drive my parents to the MCF under the guise that it was an appointment with a new doctor for a vaguely stated second opinion. Dad was a tough customer, so I leaned into a narrative about making sure he got the best care possible. Once there, the staff whisked him away to meet other residents and attend their afternoon matinee and ice cream.

The next day, dad was confused, so we assured him the new doctor wanted him to stay at this private facility for some rehab to get stronger. To that end, I did not go overboard making his room personalized initially. I set it up with nice linens and pretty pictures so it resembled a Holiday Inn level hotel. Later, after he was more settled in, we added a few personal things.

HB

• Denise50
    Denise50 Member Posts: 5
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

I brought my husband to MC under the guise of a Doctor appointment.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more