Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just placed my dh in Memory Care

Reading a bunch of your posts has been very helpful.

When I brought him to MC he was angry, stood in the hallway and just kept repeating "I want to go home." They gave him a low dose sedative and he calmed down and I left.

He's eating, sleeping and talking to other residents.

They're advising I call before I vist so that they'll be ready and possibly sedate him. (he's on the sedative on an as needed basis now)

What should I say when I come up against his anger when I visit??

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Tell him anything that he will accept. “I understand how you feel, but it’s up to the doctor. He says you have to stay until you are better. Try to make the best of it.”. Repeat, repeat, repeat. If he is highly agitated when you go to visit, you may have to not see him for a week or maybe even two until he settles in. The staff will try to keep him busy and occupied.

Dont be surprised if they tell you he does just fine when you are not there but starts acting out when you show up….very very common. He may forget all about leaving until he sees you because you trigger the feeling he has of wanting to leave. Hang in there. No one is happy all the time, including PWD, thats just the way it is.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more