Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question that Comes to Me Often

WIGO23
WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

Are there caregivers on the forum who’s LO did not progress beyond mild or moderate cognitive impairment with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s?

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

There are people with Mild Cognitive Impairment, which not considered dementia but often precedes Alzheimer's, to remain fairly stable. It is possible for some but not all people with Wernicke-Korsakoff's, a form caused by a B1 deficiency (most often related to alcohol use disorder) to be treated and remain at a steady mild or moderate level of function so long as they remain sober.

Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia are terminal and progressive. A person with one of these conditions will worsen unless some other condition kills them first.

HB

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Everyone’s journey is different. Some people progress rapidly, and reach the last stage in just a few years. Some people have been known to take over two decades to get there. So yes there are present day caregivers with loved ones in mild or moderate stages. my mom has been diagnosed as mildly impaired for over four years now and seems stable.

Some people succumb to other diseases along the way while they are still in the stages you mention. So yes there are former caregivers whose loved ones never progressed beyond mild or moderate stages

My step-father was diagnosed with mild dementia over a year ago. He just entered hospice for other issues. So he’s not going to proceed to the later stages.

There are people who have dementia like conditions that are treatable if not curable. B-12 issues, thyroid issues etc. So those people could stabilize at mild or moderate impairment.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited February 24

My diagnosis remains cognitive impairment not otherwise specified after fifteen years. I have several medical conditions for possible causes (hypertension, systemic lupus, antiphospholipid syndrome and sleep apnea). An Anviid PET scan indicated that I do not have Alzheimer's Disease. My neurologist checks my neurocognitive functions periodically and so far, there has been no significant progression. I continue to use Exelon patch and memantine along with antihypertensive meds and CPAP.

Iris

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris, You are so amazing and courageous. I so admire your fighting spirit and appreciate that you share your personal experience with us. It really is helpful. Thank you.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My wife diagnosed moderate 15 months ago

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia