Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

/harshedbuzz made outstanding point and woke me up !!

What if I did go out and something happed to me? Accident , health issue what would happen to wife alone. Question is there anything for a care giver to have in case of this situation. Never came to mind.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

EMS will look for a medic alert bracelet; it's probably the most sure-fire option. Road ID type identifications are gaining in popularity and can be more convenient if your LO removes things.

NJ (am I correct that you're in NJ?) also offers the Yellow Dot Program.

New Jersey Program Marks Cars for Emergency Responders (governing.com)

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I just placed a note with emergency numbers explaining that my DW and/or DM are home alone with dementia. I placed it behind my drivers license so when they pulled out my wallet and dl they would see the note. Was the best idea I could come up with at the time when it was still somewhat feasible to leave them home alone.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good one with license, what did you write ??

• debriesea
    debriesea Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

In addition to what you are doing, on my iPhone there is a Medical ID that can be accessed when the phone is locked that includes names and numbers if persons to call in an emergency. The info about being a caregiver could be included.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

All good ideas. I have read here that it is common practice for emergency personnel to look at the refrigerator door for a note with information re: In Case of Emergency (ICE) my DW, DH etc. has dementia and cannot be left alone.

I have our hospice # posted there, so ideally they would be notified immediately if I had to be transported for some reason, and also ideally the note would guarantee that DH would be taken with me to ER or whatever, to be retrieved by his hospice nurse and my ICE contact person #1 and #2, respectively.

If anyone has a sample refrigerator note that has worked for them, please share your thoughts here.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more