Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Shaking, rigidity, and profuse sweating

We spent the morning in the ER because overnight my husband had 4 episodes where he was shaking so hard, holding his limbs rigidly, and eventually sweating like crazy. No fever. Just got over covid (no real symptoms left...not even a cough).

At the ER they did labs, pushed some fluids, and did a chest xray. Nothing. They sent us home with a dx of fatigue, deconditioning, and weakness (well duh). I'll follow up with his pcp tomorrow.

I feel like I'm losing my mind. It was so scary to see. And when nothing was wrong I feel like I was overreacting.

Does anyone know if these are symptoms of dementia? Or covid? Dr. Google gives me everything from seizures to menopause.

Tagged:

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi Jeanne,

This happened to my husband in stage 7, and it was scary to watch. It looked like a seizure of some kind, but by the time the hospice nurse came he was calm and resting. The nurse used the term "convulsion" but it never happened again. These incidents that come out of the blue are un nerving to say the least. He was on a downward path and this was yet another indication , but certainly not the last one. He also became very shaky with certain medications. Holding you in my intentions.

Maureen

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My DH does that sometimes with a UTI. He gets horrible, debilitating chills and then sweats. I’m assuming they checked for that though.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I agree. It was probably one of those neurological things connected with dementia that isn’t easy to explain. I don’t think you overreacted. My husband has had episodes of sweating during evening hours that are unexplained. They come and go within an hour or two with no fever. He is often shaky at the same time, but perhaps not shaking as hard as what you described. His other vitals are normal. If the symptoms don’t stop on their own they do after he takes his evening meds. If any of his vitals, like BP, oxygen levels, or heart rate would have way off I would consider taking him to ER.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 26

@Jeanne C. This sounds similar to the vasovagal episodes my DH has had occasionally. The first one scared me to death. Thought he was having a seizure and dying. The uncontrollable jerking and profuse sweating followed by seeming like nothing happened, sounds so familiar. It is a little different every time, for example he does not always have the seizure-like spasms with limbs and does not always lose consciousness, but mainly he seems like he's going to go into a trance and pass out (and might actually do that) -- or he may just lock his legs when standing and start blanking out on his feet, which gives me enough time to get him seated or to the floor safely before he eventually recovers. Sometimes there is lots of yawning afterward, to restore oxygen. And breaking out in a cold sweat. The waterworks are not always a feature, but most of the time.

These are related to his regular blood pressure being quite low/normal, and ifhe strains too much while toileting or over-exerts himself walking a long way or climbing stairs too quickly -- these are a couple of the apparent triggers for the vasovagal response here. It also has happened out of the blue when he stood up too fast.

We have oxygen at home due to in-home hospice, so I have used this and also kept a rollator nearby to help alleviate these otherwise harmless episodes from causing something more serious (a dangerous fall, etc.).

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Something similar happened to my DH. The uncontrolled shaking, out of the blue. He was in bed. I held him closely and he began to relax. Never knew what caused it. Hasn’t happened since.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks, everyone. Last night was better. He also seems more oriented today. We have a follow-up with his pcp later this week.

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

It's happened to my wife 3 times in the past year. I never knew what caused it. It keeps us guessing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more