Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DW rejecting outside caregiver

My wife has mixed dementia (vascular and alzheimers) secondary to juvenile diabetes. She is stage 5 and has had a recent significant decline. We have had an outside caregiver for about 2 years. The caregiver stays with my wife for 4 hours once or twice a week. Over the last month or two, my wife has become convinced that the caregiver damaged our kitchen table. Personally, I cannot see the damage so I do not think it is real. My wife is perseverating on the damaged table and wants me to fire the caregiver. She has even said if I don't fire the caregiver, she wants me to put her in a SNF. Two weeks ago she had her antidepressant changed to citalopram. Two days ago seroquel was started because of anger and agitation. I really don't want to let the caregiver go. She has done a decent job and I am fearful that my wife will find fault in anyone I hire. Should I fire the caregiver or should I stick it out and see if it all blows over? I am hoping the seroquel helps.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

What if you say you damaged the table ?

is it wood can you refinish. Or just wait it out. When my wife found out no driving it was nitemare now doesn’t mention

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Midge I think you are right to stick it out. Seroquel can really help, so let's hope it kicks in quickly, and if you don't see response you can increase the dose fairly quickly too (i.e., every 3-4 days if she's really out of control). Charley's idea about shifting the blame to you might help. I'm thinking out loud here--but could you put a tablecloth on the table perhaps? Or turn it 180 degrees without her knowing it, so that whatever "damage" see's seeing disappears? These things that they become fixated on are so difficult. Wish I had some other magic answer.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more