Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Behavioral Change and Meds

My DW entered a MCF 4 months ago following a two week stay in a Geri-Psych. She did well for three months but just spent another two weeks in a Geri-Psych because of behavioral problems again. She has a very bad UTI, which got cleared up while she was in the hospital. Since returning to the MCF her behaviors have not improved and actually gotten worse. She is continually exit seeking and has pulled the fire alarm three times. She is mid stage 6 as far as I can tell. The psychiatrist in the Geri-Psych this time around took her off almost all her meds except for one .5mg of Risperidone once daily. This, to me, seems like too big of a reduction. She is combatant with the MCF staff now, even assaulting them at times. I'm afraid she is going to get kicked out and there is no way I can handle her at home. Any ideas? I'm at my wits end.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 26

They need to test again for UTI.

What meds were removed? How? Why?

Have you talked with her neurologist?

• Walter0617
    Walter0617 Member Posts: 23
    Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Thanks for the response! I have asked that she be checked to see if the UTI has recurred. At the very least we need to rule that out. The psychiatrist at the Geri-Psych took her off risperidone in the mornings and Seroquel twice daily. At one point she was on Seroquel three times daily. So now, she is only getting the .5 Risperidone after dinner. Nothing else. The psychiatrist at the MCF never met with me. They only communicate through the Social Worker. She could tell me what meds were changed but not why. I'm going to get with the Social Worker and try to get more information.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Seroquel and risperdone are the same class of drug so it makes sense to me that one would be discontinued. They could potentially add an anti-anxiety to the mix. Definitely find out why they made the changes. I would also be curious why they sent her back to the mcf before they knew the effects of the change.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Walter, i would raise h*ll until the doctor talks to you directly, that is just flat unacceptable. I'd go to the head of the facility if you have to and express your concern that this person/idiot is putting your wife's residency at risk and you're very concerned about it (that puts the responsibility back on them). A social worker does not have the expertise to discuss such drastic changes with you.

I'm a doc, and I usually get answered when i rattle cages because i know how to escalate but No One should have to. Makes me so mad i could spit. They wouldn't behave that way if they weren't dealing with dementia and it's just completely inhumane.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more