Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cell phone use

I’m not sure what I am looking for so I’ll just type and see what I get.

DH has a cell phone, he looks at the new on it, answers calls if he happens to hear them, reads texts if he happens to notice them. I pick it up periodically and say “ you missed a call ( or text) from x”. Then he will look at, maybe return a call, maybe not. Any ideas how long he will continue to be able to use his cell phone. I still work outside the home at least one day a week. I put in a land line as he sometimes turns the volume off on the cell phone and won’t answer when I call to check on him when I am away.

Anyone know any issue why he shouldn’t have a phone? Or know at what point he won’t be able to use it?

Thanks

Comments

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited February 26

My DH (stage 6 - 70 year old) still knows the mechanics of answering a call on his iphone and looking at text messages. The problem is that he answers spam text messages (which he gets a lot of). He also called my brother 41 times using the recent call log. He sends random text links to those in his contacts list. I am in the process of taking the phone away from him. Right now I have his contact list down to only family members.

PS - forgot to add that DH called 911 on me when he was delusional/paranoid and thought I didn't belong in his house.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

As long he seems to appropriately use it, then it’s probably ok. You can send calls that are not in his contact list to voicemail. When he starts repeatedly calling people at odd hours or calls 911 inappropriately- it’s time to reconsider. My mom has a habit of accidentally calling me, muting me, and/or hanging up on me. My thoughts are that she will forget how to call on it before lo.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH hasn't been able to use his cell phone in 4 years and he is in late stage 5. I bought him a RAZ memory phone. You can download pictures of the contacts on it. All you have to do is press the person's picture and the call is placed. It only holds maybe 20 contacts. There is a 911 Emergency button on the front. He never uses it. I doubt he would know what to do if there was a fire even though there is a button on the first page.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Katie, I'd be very concerned about having a phone with an internet connection (you say he's watching the news on it). Maybe disable that feature? But the spam texts are also an issue. My partner lost cell phone capability sometime in stage 4 and ability to reliably dial a landline in late stage 4. Clearly, if someone cannot reliably dial 911, they should not be left alone. Now in early stage 6, her ability to talk on the phone at all is diminishing, primarily due to hearing loss and aphasia.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH has a little flip phone. In the last few months, when it rings (it’s usually in his pants pocket), he’ll pick up his recliner remote, then pick up the tv remote, then take his wallet out of his pocket and hold it up to his ear. When the phone finally stops ringing he says … oh well, if it’s important, they’ll call back. He doesn’t always know how to make a call, but he does know to flip it open to receive a call. However, the other day when I was in the bathroom cleaning, he did call my cell phone and left a vm asking me where I was. Then when I came out of the bathroom, he said …. Your phone was ringing. It was him! Some things are just cute!

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My dh uses his phone to text, but only contacts. His texts are short and repetitive, but they allow him to feel connected to people. He doesn't respond to texts from strangers, and I delete the thread when I get to it. He uses Facebook on his phone--his posts are a little inappropriate but not offensive and it does let him stay in touch with family. He doesn't answer calls any more but he sometimes calls me often. I've set his ringtone to silent so if he calls at 4 a.m. or while I'm in a meeting it is not a problem and I will text him when I can. I think he's bored because even in memory care so many of the activities are beyond him. He used to have a computer game he could play, but that's gone too. He keeps a book with him and marks his identity as a reader, but he can't read any more. Just this weekend I had to remove the password drawing thing from his phone as he could no longer use it, and I think the phone itself is not much longer for him.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This past October my HWD/Alz misplaced his phone in the apartment. When I found it I did not tell him. For about a week he kept looking for it and then eventually gave up. He sort of still knew how to use it and liked to look at his photos, but he often clicked on links and answered spam calls. He hasn’t asked about the phone so I am grateful it was not a fight. My hubby is edging out of stage 5 into 6. If your DH is able to call for emergency help on the land line you might want to consider limiting what features he has on the cell or cut off the cell.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I agree with jgirl on this. It appears he has stopped using the cell. If it were me, I’d cut off the service.

• Katielu
    Katielu Member Posts: 86
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Good thoughts. Thanks for all the input. It is an ever changing world we live in.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm with M1 on this one. Safety first.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia